BOCA RATON, Fla. – For the second time in the past three days, Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team took down an NCAA Division I opponent on its home courts. The Fighting Knights had a tough battle with the University of Texas at Arlington on Wednesday afternoon as Jose Porfirio Ordonez clinched the 4-3 win with a three-set triumph at No. 4 singles.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, UTA 3
Records: #3 Lynn (8-1), UTA (7-4)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First-ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White won two of the three doubles bouts for a 1-0 advantage.
- Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares continue to perform highly at the top doubles flight, starting off the afternoon with a 6-2 victory.
- The Mavs took the No. 3 match, 7-5, before Lucca Baptista and Porfirio secured the doubles point with a 7-5 win at No. 2.
- In singles action, Lynn went up 2-0 as Clemares won his second match of the day, taking the No. 3 flight, 6-3, 6-4.
- The Mavs fired back with a straight-set triumph at No. 3 singles.
- Robin Calais pulled off a three-set victory at No. 5 singles (7-5, 1-6, 6-3) before UTA logged back-to-back three-set wins at the first and sixth flights to knot the match up at 3-3.
- The decision came down to the No. 4 singles contest, with Porfirio coming through in the end for the Fighting Knights, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is off to its best start to a season (8-1) since 2015.
- Both Lynn and UTA defeated Georgetown this week by a score of 5-2.
- This was the first time these two programs have ever met.
Lynn will have over a week off before continuing its streak of home matches, first hosting Florida National at 3 p.m. on Monday, March 18.