BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's 17th-ranked Lynn men's tennis squad continued Sunshine State Conference action with a 5-2 win over the 14th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic University Sailfish. The doubles pair of Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares clinched their second 6-0 doubles victory of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, PBA 2
Records: #17 Lynn (9-1, 3-0 SSC), #14 PBA (13-2, 1-2 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 18-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue and White won all three of the doubles bouts for a 1-0 advantage.
- The 31st-ranked pair of Bartmann and Clemares continued to dominate at the top flight and defeated PBA's only nationally ranked pair No. 46 Uberto Rosi and Thomas Salmon, 6-0.
- The pairs of Lucca Baptista and Jose Porfirio at No. 2 and Patrick Bessinger and Gabriel Hocevar at No. 3 both won their doubles matches 6-2.
- In singles action, Lynn went up 2-0 as Bartmann won his second match of the day, taking the No. 1 singles match in straight sets 6-1, 6-1.
- 62nd-ranked Baptista got the victory at No. 2 singles for the Blue and White in the only match of the day between two nationally-ranked players. He took down 41st-ranked Philipp Hoffmann 6-2, 6-3.
- Lynn saw its first defeat at the No. 3 spot with Clemares falling in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
- Porfirio clinched the victory for the Fighting Knights with a 6-1, 6-4 win at the No. 4 singles contest.
- Hocevar and Robin Calais both went into a super-breaker at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. Hocevar fell 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 10-7, while Calais got the victory, 4-6, 6-3, 10-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is off to its best start to a season (9-1) since 2014 when they started 10-0.
- Bartmann did not lose more than two games in a match for the first time this season (6-1, 6-1).
- Both of PBA's losses this season have come on the road (Feb. 23 at Florida Southern).
- The Fighting Knights have never lost to the Sailfish in program history. PBA is the only active SSC team that has not defeated Lynn.
- Clemares falls to 2-2 in three-set matches this season.
- The Blue and White came into the match ranked No. 17 in the Oracle/ITA rankings; the Sailfish are ranked 14th.
Lynn is back in action at home on Friday, March 29 when they top-ranked Barry University at 3 p.m. Fans can keep up with the action live on LynnFightingKnights.com.