BOCA RATON, Fla. – Senior Kay Bartmann posted a huge singles victory at the top flight on Friday afternoon, but it was not enough as the ninth-ranked Lynn University men's tennis team suffered its first Sunshine State Conference defeat of the season with a 5-2 setback against top-ranked Barry University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 2
Records: #1 Barry (10-1, 3-0 SSC), #9 Lynn (9-2, 4-1 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 34-27
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bucs swept doubles play for an early advantage on the scoreboard and in momentum.
- In singles action, Bartmann was the first to finish, rolling through the No. 3-ranked singles player in the country, Pierre Montrieul, in straight sets at the top flight (6-2, 6-1).
- The Bucs regained the edge with straight-set victories at the fifth and sixth positions.
- In a battle of nationally-ranked adversaries at No. 4 singles, Barry secured the match-clinching fourth point with a close, straight-set triumph.
- Barry picked up one more point with a three-set victory at No. 2 before Florian Clemares notched a three-set win for the Fighting Knights at the fourth flight, taking down No. 34 Alejandro Palacios, 7-5, 4-6, 6-1.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bartmann gets a bit of revenge after losing to Montrieul during the regular season last year, 6-1, 6-0.
- Both of the matchups between these two teams last year, regular season and SSC Semifinals, resulted in 5-4 Barry victories.
- Lynn and Barry are currently the top two teams on the SSC leaderboard.
- The Bucs boast six nationally-ranked singles players.
- Barry has finished as runners-up at the last two NCAA National Championships.
Lynn has another SSC match at home this weekend, hosting Florida Southern on Sunday, March 31, at 3 p.m.