St. Petersburg, Fla. – Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's tennis team made up its rain-postponed Sunshine State Conference match at Eckerd College on Thursday, sweeping the Tritons 7-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, Eckerd 0
Records: #8 Lynn (11-2, 6-1 SSC), Eckerd (7-5, 0-4 SSC)
Location: Bullard Courts | St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 29-3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Contrary from the first matchup (rain-postponed) with the Tritons earlier this year, the Fighting Knights controlled all three doubles bouts right out of the gates.
- 24th-ranked Florian Clemares and Kay Bartmann posted a 6-1 victory at the top flight. Gabriel Hocevar and Patrick Bessinger logged an identical win at No. 3 doubles.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Lucca Baptista rounded out the sweep with a 6-3 triumph at No. 2.
- The Blue and White swept all six singles matches, although a couple came down to the wire.
- No. 56 Bartmann (6-3, 6-3), Hocevar (6-0, 6-1) and Robin Calais (6-3, 6-2) all recorded comfortable straight-set wins at the first, fifth and sixth flights, respectively.
- Porfirio Ordonez snuck by in a first-set tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-0), at No. 4 before winning the second frame, 6-2.
- Both Baptista (4-6, 6-3, 10-6) and Clemares (4-6, 6-3, 14-12) won in comeback fashion via third-set super breakers in their respective matches at the second and fourth positions.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This match was originally scheduled and started on Feb. 27. The Fighting Knights won two of the three doubles matches to secure the lone pairs point. All six singles contests were underway in the first set before the overall match was stopped and postponed (restarted) due to rain.
Lynn immediately returns to action tomorrow, Friday, April 5, with a neutral-site match against No. 10 West Florida at 10 a.m. in Saint Leo, Fla.