Bradenton, Fla. – Kay Bartmann logged a pair of big wins while Robin Calais brought home the clinching point to give the 12th-ranked Lynn University men's tennis team a 4-1 triumph on Saturday over No. 9 Saint Leo in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Semifinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, Saint Leo 1
Records: #12 Lynn (15-2), #9 Saint Leo (16-8)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 34-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Two strong wins at the back end of the doubles lineup lifted the Fighting Knights to the critical pairs point.
- Bartmann and Patrick Bessinger looked dominant in their 6-1 victory at No. 2 doubles while Gabriel Hocevar and Lucca Baptista clinched the point with a 6-2 triumph at No. 3.
- Saint Leo's 25th-ranked doubles tandem led 5-2 at the top flight.
- Bartmann carried the momentum into singles action as the senior posted a huge upset over ninth-ranked Bruno Faletto at the top flight, 7-5, 6-0.
- The Lions got on the board with a straight-set win at No. 3 singles.
- Baptista moved Lynn ahead 3-1 with his second win of the day, taking the second flight in three sets (6-2, 1-6, 6-2).
- The final three courts all went to a deciding third set. Calais clinched the match for the Blue and White with a comeback victory at No. 6 (4-6, 6-4, 6-2).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn defeated Saint Leo on the road, 4-3, in a critical early-season league match during the regular season.
- Bartmann gets a bit of revenge after losing to Faletto in straight sets during the regular-season matchup.
- The Lynn men's tennis program returns to the SSC Championships final after missing out on it last season for the first since 2004.
- Lynn is the No. 2 seed in the SSC Tournament and Saint Leo is the No. 3 seed.
Lynn returns to the courts tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. to battle rival Barry for the SSC Championship.