Bradenton, Fla. – The 12th-ranked Lynn University men's tennis team was unable to put a dent in No. 2 Barry University on Sunday, falling to the Bucs in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Final, 4-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 4, Lynn 0
Records: #2 Barry (20-1), #12 Lynn (15-3)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 35-27
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights picked up the first doubles win, an impressive 6-1 showing out of Kay Bartmann and Patrick Bessinger at the second flight over a nationally-ranked pair, but the Bucs responded by taking the remaining two courts to earn the doubles point.
- Barry won at No. 1 doubles, 6-4, and at No. 3, 6-2.
- The Bucs controlled the majority of singles play, earning three straight-set wins to clinch the match and the title.
- Barry completed wins at the third, fourth and sixth flights.
- Lucca Baptista won the first set at No. 2 singles against No. 27 Alejandro Gallego, 6-2, and was ahead 4-2 in the second frame, nearing in on victory.
- Lynn lost the first set at both No. 1 and No. 5 in a tiebreaker.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights have finished as runners-up at the SSC Tournament in seven of the past eight years.
- Lynn has played in the SSC Tournament title match in 14 of the last 15 seasons. The program last won the SSC Championship in 2011.
- Two of Lynn's three losses this season have come at the hands of Barry.
- All six players in Barry's singles lineup are nationally ranked.
- Barry was the No. 1 seed in the SSC tournament with Lynn as the No. 2 seed.
Lynn now awaits its fate at the NCAA Selection Show next week for its further postseason assignments.