Miami Shores, Fla. – Lynn University's ninth-ranked men's tennis team didn't let an early deficit rattle its confidence on Saturday as the Fighting Knights posted a 4-1 triumph over No. 18 West Alabama in the opening round of the NCAA South Regional.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, UWA 1
Records: #9 Lynn (16-3), #18 UWA (16-7)
Location: Buccaneer Tennis Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The sides split the first two doubles bouts that finished but the Tigers clinched the doubles point with a tight win on Court 2.
- UWA struck first, winning the No. 1 doubles matchup, 6-0.
- Lynn's Gabriel Hocevar and Lucca Baptista knotted up pairs play with a 6-1 triumph at the third flight.
- The Tigers grabbed the doubles point and the 1-0 advantage with a 6-4 victory at No. 2 doubles.
- The Blue and White stole the momentum in singles action however, firing off four consecutive straight-set wins to clinch the victory over the Tigers.
- Kay Bartmann grabbed Lynn's first point with a strong 6-1, 6-3 triumph over a ranked opponent at the top singles flight.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez also logged an upset in singles, winning at the No. 4 spot, 6-2, 6-2.
- Following a close opening frame at No. 2 singles, Baptista picked up his second win of the day (7-5, 6-2).
- Hocevar clinched the match for his squad with his second victory, taking the No. 5 flight, 6-4, 6-2.
- Robin Calais had double match point in his contest at No. 6 (6-4, 5-4).
- Florian Clemares and his opponent split the first two sets in the No. 3 singles bout.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn garnered the No. 4 seed in the South Region, with UWA tabbed No. 5. Barry claimed the top seed and is hosting the South Region #1 bracket. The Bucs took down No. 8 seed Benedict this morning, 4-0.
- The Lynn men's tennis program has qualified for the NCAA Tournament in 17 consecutive years.
- The Fighting Knights are searching for their second straight regional title and appearance at the national tournament.
- These two programs have only met once before, with Lynn winning in the opening round of the 2013 South Regional.
- Baptista is now tied with Calais with a team-high 15 singles victories on the season.
Lynn squares off with regional-host Barry tomorrow, Sunday, May 12 at 12 p.m. for the South Region #1 Championship title and a berth to the NCAA National Championships.