Melbourne, Fla. – It was a great start to the 2016 season for Lynn University's softball team as the Fighting Knights opened the campaign with a pair of victories, 5-2 over Texas Woman's University and 6-2 against Florida Tech. This is the first 2-0 start for Lynn under head coach Amy Bellisari.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1: Lynn 5, TWU 2; Game 2: Lynn 6, Florida Tech 2
Records: Lynn (2-0), Florida Tech (1-1), Texas Woman's (0-2)
Location: Nancy Bottage Field | Melbourne, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails Florida Tech 22-41; Lynn trails Texas Woman's 1-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Lynn capitalized on two walks in the opening frame with Leanne Wright, who led the team in runs batted in last year, driving home the first run of the season on a groundout.
- Sara Vazquez smacked the first of her two hits with a two-out RBI single in the 2nd, to put Lynn ahead 2-0.
- Freshman Elizabeth Diaz made it a 3-0 Fighting Knights advantage in the fourth with a RBI single down the left field line.
- Starter Francais Olexa took a no-hitter into the fifth and sat down the first two batters but the Pioneers used four consecutive singles to close the gap to 3-2.
- The Blue & White took advantage of TWU's second error of the contest to score one run and then used a double-steal to pad their lead to 5-2.
- Game 2
- Victoria Rios ignited the Fighting Knights' offense when she collected her first career hit through the left side of the infield in the second. Manya Lopez drove home two with a bases loaded double and Olexa drove home two more with a single into the right center gap. Hannah Tauscher then plated another a double and Wright ended the scoring with a triple to right center.
- Katelyn Key was solid in her first start of the year, but had two hiccups, solo home runs to Hailey Leonard in the second and seventh innings.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Vazquez went 3-for-7 with two runs scored and a RBI.
- Wright, who had 30 RBI last season, had a pair of RBI today.
- Manya Lopez was the flex in game one and went 2-for-3 from the plate with two RBI in the second contest.
- Olexa allowed two runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts in tossing a complete game.
- Key allowed two runs on three hits with three walks and a K while also going the distance.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn started four freshman on the day with the quartet going 8-for-26 with four runs and two RBI.
- Key tossed her fourth career complete game.
The Fighting Knights conclude play at the Florida Tech Kickoff Tournament when they square-off against Mars Hill at 9 a.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com and receive in-game updates on social media.