Melbourne, Fla. – Miscues from Lynn University's softball team contributed to five unearned runs in a 9-3 loss to Mars Hill in the Florida Tech Kickoff Tournament. Lynn moves to 2-1 overall on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Mars Hill 9, Lynn 3
Records: Mars Hill (1-0), Lynn (2-1)
Location: Nancy Bottage Field | Melbourne, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails Mars Hill 0-1 (First meeting between two teams)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Two first inning errors led to one unearned run for the Lions following a two-out RBI single from Erin Vickery
- Three more errors in the third allowed Mars Hill to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Fighting Knights battled back with a RBI single by Hannah Tauscher after Kaitlin Conrad opened the frame with a double.
- Starter Rachel Lightner was chased from the game in the fifth when the Blue & White committed two more errors, allowing MHU to score six runs, four of which were unearned.
- Mars Hill tallied its ninth run with a pair of doubles in the sixth but Lynn closed the gap to 9-3 when Manya Lopez doubled home Victoria Rios and Leanne Wright.
- Sara Vazquez went 2-for-4 in the leadoff spot.
- Lopez smacked her second double of the year and drove in two runs for the second consecutive game.
- Lightner allowed eight runs, three earned, on 10 hits over 4.2 innings of work with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Francais Olexa scattered three hits and allowed one run in 2.1 innings of relief.
- Lightner made her Fighting Knights debut and was one of five freshmen in the starting lineup.
The Fighting Knights play five games in the 2016 Eckerd College Spring Invitational in Clearwater, Fla., from Friday, Feb. 5, through Sunday, Feb. 7. Fans can keep up with the action through live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.