Clearwater, Florida – Lynn University's softball team opened up play in the Eckerd College Spring Invitational by knocking off Colorado Christian 4-3 before falling in a tight 5-4 contest to Chadron State in the second game of the twin bill. The Fighting Knights move to 3-2 overall on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1: Lynn 4, CCU 3 (8); Game 2: Chadron St. 5, Lynn 4 (8)
Records: Lynn (3-2), Colorado Christian (0-1), Chadron St. (1-1)
Location: Eddie C. Moore Athletic Complex | Clearwater, Fla.
Series: Lynn is 2-2 vs. Colorado Christian; Lynn is 1-1 vs. Chadron St.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1:
- Lynn capitalized on the first error of the contest when Sara Vazquez reached on a fielding error to start the bottom of the first. Manya Lopez then drove home Vazquez with a two-out single and the Cougars allowed another run on a potential inning-ending ground ball, putting Lynn ahead 2-0.
- CCU cut the deficit in half with a two-out double steal in the second and tied the game in the fourth with a two-out RBI single.
- Leanne Wright put the Blue & White back ahead, 3-2, after ripping a RBI single through the left side of the infield.
- Colorado Christian sent the game into extra innings with a RBI single in the seventh.
- A heads-up play by Kaitlin Conrad allowed the freshman to score on a Francis Olexa sac fly foul out and end the game.
- Game 2:
- Lynn's bats heated up in the third inning against Chadron State, with Wright driving home a pair on a two-run single and Elizabeth Diaz following with a RBI single up the middle to make it 3-0.
- A wild pitch in the fourth allowed the Eagles to get their first run on the board and an inning-ending error kept the frame alive and led to two more runs scored to knot the game up 3-3.
- Hannah Tauscher snapped the tie in the bottom half of the fourth with a bases loaded single down the left field line only to have CSU tie it up again off a triple in the sixth.
- Lindsey Karlin drove home the winning run in the eighth when she sat back and singled in Rebekah Anthony to complete her 4-for-4 night.
- Lynn had a chance to extend the game but stranded runners on second and third.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Wright was 3-for-8 in the double header with a run scored and three RBI.
- Francais Olexa collected her second consecutive complete game, scattering eight hits and allowing three runs, two earned, in eight innings of work.
- Katelyn Key also threw her second CG of the year, allowing five runs, two earned, on eight hits.
- Diaz went 2-for-3 against the Eagles.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Sara Vazquez was held hitless for the first time this season against CSU but reached base twice on walks.
- Geena Capitini logged her first multi-hit game of the season against the Eagles (2-for-4).
The Fighting Knights battle third-ranked Shorter on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 11 a.m. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.