Clearwater, Fla. – A bases loaded rally came up a run shy in the bottom of the seventh inning as Lynn University's softball team fell 2-1 to third-ranked Shorter on the second day of the Eckerd College Spring Invitational. Lynn moves to 3-3 on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #3 Shorter 2, Lynn 1
Records: Shorter (2-1), Lynn (3-3)
Location: Eddie C. Moore Athletic Complex | Clearwater, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails Shorter 0-2 (last meeting 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two teams played to a scoreless tie until Shorter capitalized on a fielder's interference call to plate the first run of the game in the fourth.
- Lynn loaded the bases in the fifth with one out but consecutive fielder's choices ended the threat.
- Shorter took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth with a RBI single from Peyton Barthel.
- The Blue & White put on their rally caps in the top of the seventh when Tori Rios singled off relief pitcher Kalei Kimbrell to load the bases and Hannah Tauscher followed with a one-out RBI walk. But The Hawks retired the next two batters to stave off extra innings and keep the victory.
- Geena Capitini and Rios logged multi-hit games for the Fighting Knights, combing go to 5-for-6 at the plate.
- Francais Olexa notched her third consecutive complete game by allowing two runs on seven hits with three strikeouts.
- After starting the season without a hit in seven at-bats, Capitini has gone 4-for-7.
- Rios tallied a career-best three hits.
- Olexa has three CG's in her first three starts after collecting only seven all of last season.
The Fighting Knights conclude play in the Eckerd College Spring Invitational when they take on host Eckerd and Nova Southeastern on Sunday, Feb. 7, at 9 and 11:30 am. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.