Clearwater, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team braved the chilling wind and a two-and-a-half hour delay to split its two games on the final day of the Eckerd College Spring Invitational. The Fighting Knights knocked-off Nova Southeastern 6-3 before falling 4-0 to Eckerd College to move to 4-4 overall.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 6, NSU 3; Eckerd 4, Lynn 0
Records: Lynn (4-3), NSU (1-2), Eckerd (3-1)
Location: Eddie C. Moore Athletic Complex | Clearwater, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails Nova Southeastern 23-41 (last meeting 2015); Lynn leads 38-22 (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1:
- The Sharks gained a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the third when Megan Granitto singled in two runs and was followed by a RBI double from Dajia Jones.
- NSU threatened an inning later, loading the bases with one out. But Katelyn Key kept her composure and induced to pop-ups to end the frame.
- Lynn's offense exploded for six runs in the sixth. After a Sharks error to start the inning, the Blue & White loaded the bases on a single and walk from Leanne Wright and Geena Capitini. Victoria Rios brought home two with a RBI double to left center field, cutting the deficit to 3-2.
- A walk to Hannah Tauscher put four ducks on the pond and Elizabeth Diaz brought them all home with a grand slam over the right field fence.
- Game 2:
- Eckerd started their scoring in the second frame with a RBI groundout from Dana Paul.
- The Tritons added to their lead in the fourth when Janna Gaburo drove in a pair with a two-out, two-run double into the left center gap.
- Lynn's best opportunity get on the scoreboard came in the sixth with runners on first and second but the Tritons retired the next two batters to keep the clean scoreboard.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Katelyn Key allowed three runs on eight hits while issuing one walk and fanning two batters to improve to 2-1.
- Francais Olexa tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief for the save.
- Rachel Lightner went the distance against Eckerd, allowing four runs on seven hits and four walks with a career-best five strikeouts.
- Wright was 3-for-7 on the day and Rios ended the afternoon 2-for-6 with a pair of RBI.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Diaz's home run was the first of her career.
- The Fighting Knights' two extra base hits against NSU were their first of the season.
- Katelyn Key matched her victory total from 2015.
- Francais Olexa picked up her second career save, and first since April 3, 2015 which came against Nova Southeastern.
- Lightner tied the team's season-high for K's in a game and threw her first career complete game.
The Fighting Knights return to the diamond on Saturday, Feb. 13, at 1 p.m. when the host Maryville (Mo.) in their home opener. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.