BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team thumped five home runs in two games as the squad split its home opener with a 7-5 loss in game one and 5-2 victory in game two versus Maryville (Mo.). Geena Capitini, Kaitlin Conrad, Victoria Rios, Maddy White and Leanne Wright each went yard for the first time this season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 - Maryville 7, Lynn 5; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Maryville 2
Records: Lynn (5-5), Maryville (2-2)
Location: Lynn Softball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 2-1 (Last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Maryville led off the game with a double and scored on a two-out single from Wendy Macias.
- Capitini knotted the game at 1-1 in the second when she launched the first pitch she saw over the right center field fence.
- The Saints looked done in the third until a two-out, two-run double from Macias snapped the 1-1 tie and jumpstarted a five-run inning, capped off by a two-run home run.
- Maryville scored another in the fourth to take a 7-1 lead.
- Lynn mounted its comeback bid in the fifth with a solo home run from Conrad and RBI single by Hannah Tauscher.
- A two-run home run by Wright in the bottom of the seventh brought Lynn to within two, 7-5, but Maryville retired the final batter to keep the win.
- Game 2
- Lynn's five-run fourth inning powered the team to victory.
- Maddy White smacked a three-run home run to left center field and the Fighting Knights hit back-to-back jacks when Rios followed with a deep shot to center field.
- Sara Vazquez ended the scoring with a two-out RBI double to left center, scoring Francais Olexa.
- Key put goose-eggs on the scoreboard until the fifth when the Saints loaded the bases. Key induced two weak flyouts before Kelsey Martin drove home two runs with a single up the middle.
- Key worked out of trouble in the sixth and seventh innings, using double-plays in both frames to earn her team-best third victory in the circle.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Francais Olexa allowed seven runs on 11 hits with three strikeouts in the complete game loss.
- Key tossed seven innings, allowing two runs on only five hits.
- Sara Vazquez went 4-for-8 in the doubleheader.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Maddy White's home run came as a pinch hitter.
- Key matched her career-best for wins and complete games in a season.
Lynn is back in action on Sunday, Feb. 14, at 11 am when it travels to West Palm Beach, Fla., to take on Armstrong State and Washburn in the Sailfish Showdown. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.