BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team banged out six hits but could not drive home a run in a 3-0 loss to Florida Southern in both squad's Sunshine State Conference opener on Friday afternoon. The Fighting Knights drop to 5-8 overall and 0-1 in league play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 3, Lynn 0
Records: FSC (7-2, 1-0 SSC), Lynn (5-8, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 15-46 all-time (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florida Southern scored three runs on three hits in the top of the third in the only scoring frame of the contest. The Moccasins first scored on a wild pitch and later added a RBI double from Zierra Flodman and RBI groundout from Jessica Trana.
- Francais Olexa pitched out of trouble in the fifth when she had bases loaded and two outs. The sophomore southpaw fanned two of her three K's on the day to get out of the jam.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Lynn threatened with runners on first and second and one out but a diving play in right center prevented extra bases and the Mocs shortstop made a sliding play in the hole to end the game.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Elizabeth Diaz went 2-for-3 at the plate with a double off the left field fence.
- Olexa went the distance for the sixth time this season, allowing three runs on eight hits with three walks and three strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Three times Lynn had runners in scoring position but could not bring them home.
- Olexa has gone the distance in every start this year.
- Diaz recorded her third multi-hit game of the season and snapped a streak of eight consecutive at-bats without a hit.
The Fighting Knights close out their three-game series with the Mocs with a 1 pm doubleheader at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.