BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University softball team dropped the opener of Saturday's doubleheader 5-3 to Florida Southern before darkness forced the second game to be put on hold.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 5, Lynn 3 | Florida Southern 4, Lynn 4 (game suspended in 11th inning due to darkness)
Records: Florida Southern (8-2, 2-0 SSC), Lynn (5-9, 0-2 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 15-47 all-time
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florida Southern got on the scoreboard first when Erica Morrissey doubled in a run in the opening frame. Two batters later, Maggie Roberts singled home Morrissey, putting the Mocs up 2-0 early.
- The Fighting Knights responded with a two-run bottom half, tying the game on Victoria Rios' single through the left side.
- The Mocs struck again in the third, turning a leadoff walk into a 3-2 lead.
- Lynn again pulled even an inning later after a solo home run from Madison White.
- FSC managed a run in the fifth before plating an insurance run in the sixth.
- After ten innings of play, the game was suspended at 4-4 due to darkness. The game will be completed at a later date.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Kaitlin Conrad, Hannah Tauscher, and Leanne Wright each gave the Fighting Knights two base hits from the top third of the order.
- Wright, Rios, and Francais Olexa were credited with an RBI.
- Olexa took the loss in the circle after tossing all seven innings and allowing four earned runs.
- Four Mocs contributed multi-hit games.
- Sydney Koch earned the win, despite allowing 10 Lynn hits.
- Five different Fighting Knights drew a walk.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Saturday marked the fourth time this season that at least seven Fighting Knights recorded a hit in Saturday's opener.
- Olexa has gone the distance in each of her eight starts this season.
Lynn returns to action on Friday, Feb. 26th, with a road trip to the University of Tampa. First pitch of the three-game series is set for 6:00 pm.