Tampa, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team scored early but two errors contributed to two unearned runs in a 3-1 loss to Tampa on Friday night. Katelyn Key tossed her fourth complete game of the season, setting a new career-high in the process.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Tampa 3, Lynn 1
Records: Tampa (4-5, 1-3 SSC), Lynn (5-10-1, 0-3-1 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 13-44 (last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights gained the upper hand in the top of the first inning. Hannah Tauscher singled with one out and Leanne Wright drew a walk to put runners on first and second. After a passed ball advanced the runners a bag, Tauscher scored on a heads-up play following a pop-up to second base.
- Tampa knotted the game at 1-1 in the second, scoring from second off a throwing error from a Lynn infielder.
- The score would stay even until the fifth inning when a gaffe on a sacrifice bunt allowed the Spartans to put runners on second and third. A single and sac fly gave UT the 3-1 edge.
- Olexa looked to start a rally in the seventh with a leadoff triple but the Fighting Knights could not bring her home, ending the game.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Olexa went 2-for-3 at the plate
- Key allowed three runs, one earned, on five hits over six innings. She walked two and struck out one.
- Victoria Rios and Tauscher recorded the remaining hits for Lynn.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- This marks the second multi-hit game of the season for Olexa.
- Six of Lynn's losses have been by two runs or less.
- Rios has tallied a RBI in two of her last three games.
Lynn completes its series with Tampa with a doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 27, beginning at 1 pm. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com and receive updates by following @Lynn_Knights on Twitter and Instagram.