Tampa, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team collected its first Sunshine State Conference victory of the season after splitting its twinbill with the University of Tampa on Saturday. The Fighting Knights won game one 3-1 but dropped game two 8-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 3-1; Game 2 – Tampa 8-0
Records: Lynn (6-11-1, 1-4-1 SSC), Tampa (5-6, 2-4 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 14-45 (Last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- A bases loaded double by Elizabeth Diaz in the top of the fourth was all the damage needed by the Fighting Knights as they team plated three runs on the extra-base hit.
- Tampa cut the deficit at 3-1 with a bases loaded fielders' choice but the Spartans could not add to its total.
- UT threatened in the bottom of the seventh with two runners on and one out. But Francais Olexa maneuvered through traffic and induced a lineup and foul out.
- Game 2
- Katelyn Key had a little more trouble in her second go-around against Tampa. The Spartans scored twice in the first and twice in the third before platting four more in the fifth.
- Lynn broke up the perfect game in the fifth on a Diaz walk.
STATS OF THE GAMES:
- Olexa tossed her seventh complete game of the season, matching her total from all of last year. She allowed one run on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
- Diaz went 1-for-3 with three RBI.
- Key allowed seven runs, five earned on eight hits over four innings of work.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Diaz has logged two games with at least three RBI.
The Fighting Knights host Chestnut Hill on Wednesday, March 2, in a 1 pm doubleheader. Fans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.