BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's offense was able to get back on track with a 6-1, 5-1 doubleheader sweep of Chestnut Hill on Wednesday afternoon. Freshmen Hannah Tauscher and Victoria Rios combined to go 8-for-12 at the plate with four runs scored and three runs batted in.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 6, Chestnut Hill 1; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Chestnut Hill 1
Records: Lynn (8-11-1), Chestnut Hill (0-10)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: First meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- The Fighting Knights capitalized on a throwing error from the Griffins catcher on a sacrifice bunt, allowing Rios to score from first base.
- A bases loaded single from Francais Olexa in the third drove in two runs and a subsequent fielding error by the outfield allowed a third run to score while Olexa reached third base.
- Rios followed with an infield single and Lynn led 5-0.
- A bases loaded wild pitch in the fourth plated the sixth run of the game for Lynn.
- Chestnut's only run came in the fifth on a two-out single from Jenna Long. The Griffins led off the inning with a double to right field.
- Game 2
- A suicide squeeze bunt from Manya Lopez plated Lynn's first run in the second inning. A throwing error from the catcher allowed one more run to score, giving the Blue & White a 2-0 advantage.
- Hannah Tauscher added her third hit of the day with a RBI single to left field.
- Geena Capitini increased Lynn's lead to 4-0 in the third with a double to left center field, allowing Rios to score.
- The Griffins cut their deficit to 4-1 in the top of the fourth with a solo home run by Allie Williams but Rios returned the favor when she led off the fifth with a solo bomb to center field.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Olexa tossed her ninth complete game of the year, surrendering one run over seven innings, scattering three hits and fanning three batters.
- Katelyn Key allowed only one run on six hits with two walks and two strikeouts to earn her fourth victory in the circle.
- Tauscher was 2-for-2 with a run and stolen base in game one and 2-for-4 with a run, RBI and SB in game two.
- Rios went 2-for-3 in both games and drove in a pair of runs.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Tauscher leads the team with six stolen bases.
- Olexa has completed every game she has started and is tied with the team lead for victories with Key.
- Rios belted her second home run of the year, one behind team-leader Leanne Wright. She is also third on the team with eight runs batted in.
The Fighting Knights are back in action when they host Palm Beach Atlantic for a three-game series beginning on Friday, March 4, at 3 p.m. and concluding with a 1 pm doubleheader on Saturday, March 5. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.