BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team dropped the series to Palm Beach Atlantic following 5-2, 5-3 losses on Saturday afternoon. Victoria Rios and Francais Olexa mashed home runs but the Fighting Knights' defense committed seven errors in the two games which led to six unearned runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – PBA 5, Lynn 2; Game 2 – PBA 5, Lynn 3
Records: PBA (13-7), Lynn (8-14-1)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn Trails 27-35 (Lost 1-0 on Friday, March 4)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- The first error of the game for Lynn allowed Palm Beach Atlantic to extend the opening frame. The Sailfish jumped on the opportunity when Ali French singled home the first run of the game.
- Lynn responded in the bottom half of the inning, loading the bases with two outs. Rios then scored on a wild pitch to knot the game 1-1.
- Another error allowed PBA to take the lead in the top of the second but Rios homered just inside the foul pole down the left field line to even the contest again, 2-2.
- A run in the fourth gave Palm Beach Atlantic a 3-2 advantage but errors in the fifth and seventh frames plated two more runs.
- Game 2
- Trailing 1-0 heading into the bottom of the first, left-handed hitter Francais Olexa put Lynn ahead for the first time in the series with a two-run opposite field home run.
- PBA scored the equalizer in the third with a RBI ground ball up the middle by Victoria Gonzalez.
- Manya Lopez provided the potential spark with a sacrifice fly in the fourth, scoring Sara Vazquez.
- Lynn's defense, though, faltered down the stretch, committing an error in the fifth and two more in the seventh which led to three unearned runs.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Rios was 2-for-3 in the opening game and accounted for all of Lynn's runs.
- Vazquez notched the only multi-hit game of the second contest, going 2-for-3 at the dish.
- Olexa went 1-for-2 with a run and two runs batted in for game two.
- Katelyn Key earned the start in the circle for both games. She lasted 1.1 innings in the opener and allowed two unearned runs on four hits before being replaced by Olexa. In the second contest of the twinbil, she went the distance and allowed five runs, two earned,
- Olexa picked up the loss after tossing 5.2 innings of relief with three runs, two earned, on seven hits.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Key collected her sixth complete game of the season.
- Olexa hit her first home run of the year and second of her career.
- Rios' third home run tied her with Leanne Wright for the team lead.
- Olexa's two RBI today gave her 10 on the season, tied for second with Elizabeth Diaz.
The Fighting Knights host West Liberty in a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 8, beginning at 1 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.