BOCA RATON, Fla. – After falling 1-0 in the doubleheader opener, the Lynn University softball team's bats woke up to run-rule West Liberty 9-1 in game two. Both starting pitchers tossed complete games for the Fighting Knights while Madison White drove in three runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1- West Liberty 1, Lynn 0; Game 2 – Lynn 9, West Liberty 1
Records: Lynn (9-15-1), West Liberty (2-8)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: First Meeting (1-1)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Lynn threatened in the opening frame with a pair of base hits but were held off the scoreboard.
- The Hilltoppers scored the only run of the game in the fifth inning when Taylor Zeiger drove home Nicki Mihalik with a two-out RBI single up the middle.
- Game 2
- West Liberty logged three hits in the first inning but Lynn's defense kept the Hilltoppers off the board with a play at the plate.
- The Fighting Knights' slumbering bats awoke with a hunger in the first chapter. After Leanne Wright walked to load the bases, Lynn took its first lead of the game off a wild pitch. Liz Diaz followed with a sacrifice fly, scoring Francais Olexa, and White drove home a pair with a two-out, two-run double into the left center field gap.
- Another two-out extra base hit, this time from Olexa, scored Kaitlin Conrad and put Lynn ahead 5-0 in the second inning.
- West Liberty scored its lone run of the contest in the third off a two-out RBI single from Savanna Sieger. The Hilltoppers looked as if they would score again in the fifth, as Kylee Ensign tripled to open the frame but a lineout, groundout and flyout ended the threat.
- White drove home her third run with a RBI single in the fifth and later scored, along with Manya Lopez, on a wild pitch that rattled around the backstop.
- Victoria Rios ended the game 9-1 in the sixth inning with one swing of the bat, knocking a 3-2 fastball over the fence in left center field.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Olexa scattered three hits over seven innings, allowing one run with one walk and two K's in dropping to 4-8 on the season in the circle.
- Katelyn Key surrendered one run on eight hits in six innings of work to improve to 5-4.
- White went 3-for-3 with two doubles and three RBI.
- Olexa was 2-for-3 with a RBI and run scored.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Lynn's nine runs are a season-high and this is also the first run-rule victory for the team this year.
- White logged her first career multi-hit game with a personal-best three hits while matching her career-high of three RBI.
- Rios was 0-for-4 on the day until her home run, which leads the team and is third in the Sunshine State Conference.
- Seven different Fighting Knights scored runs in the second game.
The Blue & White travel to No. 11 Saint Leo for a three-game series beginning on Friday, March 11, at 7 pm and concluding with a 1 pm doubleheader on Saturday, March 12. Fans can watch the series opener at LynnFightingKnights.com and keep up with live stats throughout the three-game set.