Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team fell 2-0 and 9-1 to No. 11 Saint Leo in the doubleheader series finale on Saturday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Saint Leo 2, Lynn 0; Game 2 – Saint Leo 9, Lynn 1 (5 innings)
Records: Saint Leo (21-1, 8-1 SSC), Lynn (9-18-1, 1-7-1 SSC)
Location: University Softball Field | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 10-49 (Last meeting 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Saint Leo tallied a run in the third a pair of throwing errors on a stolen base to grab a 1-0 lead.
- An inning later, the Lions added an insurance run with a two-out RBI single from Sommer Pollard.
- The Fighting Knights threatened in the fifth after base hits from Leanne wright and Elizabeth Diaz but could not bring the duo around to score.
- Game 2
- Lynn took advantage of two Lions gaffes right from the get-go as Hannah Tauscher reached first and then second on a throwing error and advance to third on a passed ball. Francis Olexa then gave the Blue & White their first lead of the series with a sacrifice fly to deep center field.
- Unfortunately, the Lions knotted it up and then took a 3-1 lead in the bottom half of the frame.
- Lynn's lone error of the contest proved to be costly as SLU plated six runs in the bottom of the fifth, including four unearned, to end the game early, 9-1.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Olexa (4-10) allowed only two runs on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts in taking the game one loss.
- Katelyn Key (5-5) picked up the 'L' in game two, surrendering nine runs, four earned, on 11 hits with four walks and two strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa now leads the team with 12 runs batted in this season and 13 complete games.
Lynn travels to Clermont, Fla., to take on Northwestern Ohio and NYIT on Saturday, March 19, and Sunday, March 20. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.