Clermont, Fla. – The Lynn University softball offense came alive late in the opening game and carried through to the second game in a double-header sweep of NYIT and Southern Connecticut State. The Fighting Knights rallied for a 6-1 victory over the Bears before knocking off the Owls 6-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 6, NYIT 1; Game 2 – Lynn 6, Southern Connecticut St. 2
Records: Lynn (11-19-1), NYIT (7-6), SCSU (2-6)
Location: Henderson Field | Clermont, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 1-0 vs. NYIT (First Meeting); Lynn is 3-3 vs. SCSU
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- NYIT took a 1-0 lead in the second inning after Christina Pantages led off the frame with a double and scored two batters later on a ground out from Madison Smith.
- The Bears appeared poised for a big third inning, loading the bases with one out but Rachel Lightner induced two ground outs to end the threat.
- Victoria Rios doubled to open the sixth and tied the game up when Sara Vazquez beat out an infield single for the RBI base hit.
- Lynn sent 10 batters to the plate in the top of the seventh as the team broke the game wide open. Kaitlin Conrad started the onslaught with a double off the left field fence and scored two batters later off a Hannah Tauscher infield single, putting Lynn ahead 2-1.
- Leanne Wright doubled home both Francais Olexa and Tauscher with drive to left center and was able to trot home when Geena Capitini blasted a two-run home run to center field.
- Game 2
- Two huge errors on one play allowed the Blue & White to take a 2-0 lead over Southern Connecticut State in the second game of the twinbill. Conrad reached first on a bunt single but the throw to first bounced into right field, allowing Amanda Casillas to score. The ensuing throw from the right fielder sailed over second base and Manya Lopez reached home.
- Olexa hit the first of her two clutch RBI base knocks, driving home Lopez with a single down the right field line to give the Fighting Knights a 3-0 lead.
- SCSU scratched its way back with an unearned run in the fifth and another run in the sixth, cutting Lynn's advantage to 3-2.
- Momentum swung in the Owls favor when Olexa ended the home half of the sixth with a double-play but Southern Connecticut State was penalized on an illegal substitution, negating the inning-ending play and giving Lynn new life. Olexa smacked the first pitch she saw in the new at-bat off the left centerfield fence, scoring one run.
- Rios followed with a two-run double down the right field line to cap Lynn's scoring at 6-2.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Rachel Lightner scattered seven hits over seven innings, allowing one run while fanning three batters to win her first career game (1-3).
- Sara Vazquez went 4-for-4 in the opening contest while Wright and Capitini each drove in two runs apiece.
- Game two starter Katelyn Key moved to a team-best 6-5 in the circle after allowing two runs, one earned, on six hits with three walks and one strikeout.
- Olexa (2-for-4), Rios (2-for-4) and Amanda Casillas (2-for-3) each recorded multi-hit outings.
- Kaitlin Conrad was 1-for-1 with a walk, sacrifice bunt and two runs scored.
- Casillas also scored twice.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lightner earned her first career win and second complete game.
- Olexa and Wright are tied for the team-lead with 14 runs batted in.
- Key tossed her ninth complete game of the season.
- This is the third double-header sweep this year for Lynn, and first since the opening weekend against two-teams.
- The Fighting Knights 12 runs and 23 hits in two games is the most they have posted in consecutive contests this season.
Lynn begins a three-game Sunshine State Conference series against Eckerd on Thursday, March 24, at 3 pm on the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.