BOCA RATON, Fla. – Trailing 1-0 in the first, Lynn University's softball team battled back to top Eckerd College 5-1 in the series opener. Rain halted game two in the second inning with the Fighting Knights leading 3-0 and will be resumed as part of a doubleheader on Friday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Eckerd 1
Records: Lynn (12-19-1, 2-7-1 SSC), Eckerd (20-12-1, 5-5 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 39-22 (Last meeting Feb. 7, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lefty batter Kaycie Duncan smacked a solo home run to left center field in the top of the first inning to give Eckerd to early 1-0 advantage.
- Lynn starter Francais Olexa ran into more trouble by loading the bases after two singles and a walk but the sophomore southpaw fanned Stephanie Wolfrom and induced an inning-ending flyout to keep the one-run deficit.
- The Fighting Knights threatened in the first and second innings but left runners stranded in scoring position until the fourth.
- Geena Capitini singled to start the frame before exiting for a pinch runner. Two batters later, Elizabeth Diaz singled up the middle to score pinch runner Manya Lopez, knotting the game 1-1.
- Hannah Tauscher gave Lynn a 2-1 lead with a deep sacrifice fly to left field and Sara Vazquez tacked on another run with a RBI infield single. The Tritons didn't help their cause on the play as the throw to get the Lynn speedster skipped into right field, allowing Kaitlin Conrad to make the score 4-1.
- Leanne Wright added a fifth insurance run in the sixth with a double to the right center field gap.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Olexa tossed her 15th complete game of the year, allowing one run on six hits with three walks and three strikeouts.
- Four Fighting Knights drove in runs: Vazquez, Wright, Diaz and Tauscher.
- Amanda Casillas went 2-for-2 with a run scored.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Eight of the team's starting nine collected at least one hit.
- Casillas has recorded multiple hits in three consecutive games, going 6-for-9 with three runs scored over that span, and has at least one hit in four of her six games played this season.
- Wright overtook Olexa for first on the team with 15 RBI.
- Olexa has allowed a run or fewer in six of her 15 starts this year.
- Lynn was leading Eckerd 3-0 heading into the second inning of game two.
The Fighting Knights will pick up its doubleheader in the second inning leading 3-0 as part of a doubleheader beginning at 10 am. Fans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.