BOCA RATON, Fla. – There was some rain but plenty of thunder with nine home runs combined between Lynn University and Eckerd College in a Friday doubleheader. Unfortunately, the Fighting Knights were on the wrong end of the score, falling 11-7 in game one and 6-4 in game two.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Eckerd 11, Lynn 7; Game 2 – Eckerd 6, Lynn 4
Records: Lynn (12-21-1, 2-9-1 SSC), Eckerd (22-12-1, 7-5 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 39-24 (Last meeting Feb. 7, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Lynn began the game with a three-run home run by Leanne Wright in the bottom of the first inning before rain cut the game short on Thursday.
- Upon returning to the field, the Tritons smacked the first of two grand slams on the afternoon in the top of the second to pull ahead 4-3.
- Manya Lopez knotted the game at four in the home half, turning on the second pitch she saw and sending it over the fence in left field.
- Nikole Van Gennep snapped the second tie of the game with a solo home run in the third but Victoria Rios brought the game back to 5-5 in the third with a leadoff home run.
- Eckerd's Kaycie Duncan turned on the second grand slam of the game in the fourth, putting the Tritons ahead 9-5.
- Triton solo home runs in the fifth and sixth innings bookended a Fighting Knights run in the sixth to make the score 11-6.
- Wright ended the scoring for Lynn in the seventh with a RBI double to conclude the game 11-7.
- Game 2
- Eckerd grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the second on a RBI single through the left side.
- The Tritons then plated three more runs in the third to go ahead 4-0.
- A Lynn error allowed Eckerd to increase its lead 5-0 until Hannah Tauscher drove in the Fighting Knights first run with a double into the left center gap.
- Another unearned run in the 6th increased Lynn's deficit to 6-1 but Wright hit her second home run of the day in the bottom half of the inning, to close the gap to 6-4.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Wright went 2-for-3 with four RBI in game one and 2-for-3 with three RBI in the second contest. She logged two home runs in the twinbill.
- Rios was 1-for-3 with a home run, RBI and two runs scored in the opening game.
- Hannah Tauscher went 3-for-6 in the DH.
- Katelyn Key earned the start in both games, combining for 7.1 innings pitched with 13 hits allowed and nine runs allowed.
- Rachel Lightner threw 4.1 innings of relief in game two, allowing only two hits, two runs, both unearned, with one walk.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- All of Eckerd's runs in game one came via a home run while five of Lynn's seven runs were scored off long balls.
- Wright and Rios are tied for the team lead with five home runs while Wright leads the team with 22 RBi.
- Wright accounted for eight of the team's 16 runs in the three-game series.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Friday, April 1, at 6 pm when they travel to Daytona Beach, Fla., to battle Embry-Riddle in a three-game series. Fans can watch the games live at LynnFightingKnights.com.