Melbourne, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team could not hold on to a lead late in game one and eventually fell 4-3 in extra innings before dropping the second game of the doubleheader 6-1 at Florida Tech on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 - Florida Tech 4, Lynn 3 (8 innings); Game 2 - Florida Tech 6, Lynn 1
Records: Florida Tech (39-15, 17-7 SSC); Lynn (13-29-1, 2-15-1 SSC)
Location: Nancy Bottage Field | Melbourne, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 22-44 (Last played Jan. 29, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- The Fighting Knights took their first lead of the series when Geena Capitini smacked a solo home run off Rachel Pence in the fourth inning.
- Lynn's 1-0 advantage would be short lived with FIT knotting the game at 1-1 in the bottom half of the frame with a Ashley Montion infield single.
- Hannah Tauscher connected on a two-run double in the top of the seventh, putting Lynn on top 3-1 with three outs to play.
- A key error with one out put a runner on base and Florida Tech scored its second run of the game on what would have been the final groundout of the game. Instead the inning continued and Krista Patterson sent the game into extra innings with a two-out RBI single.
- Montion ended the contest in the eighth with a RBI double.
- Game 2
- Lynn's defense faded in the first inning with an error on the second batter leading to a pair of runs. A walk and double on the next two batters put FIT ahead 3-0 and a sacrifice fly plated another unearned run for the Panthers. Leanne Wright threw out Makayla Palmer at home plate to end the frame.
- Florida Tech would go on to score twice in the fourth before Rachel Lightner was lifted for Francais Olexa in the circle. That would be the end of the offense for FIT as Olexa no-hit the Panthers the remaining three frames.
- Lynn took advantage of an FIT gaffe in the seventh as Olexa scored from second base off an error from Florida Tech's shortstop.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Sara Vazquez and Hannah Tauscher each went 2-for-3 at the plate in the game one of the doubleheader with Vazquez scoring one and Tauscher driving in two runs.
- Geena Capitini was 1-for-3 with a home rune.
- Katelyn Key allowed four runs, two earned, on 10 hits over 7.1 innings of work. She also walked two.
- Leanne Wright was 2-for-4 and Amanda Casillas 3-for-4 in the second contest. Lynn recorded nine hits in total with Olexa, Victoria Rios, Manya Lopez and Kaitlin Conrad also connecting.
- Rachel Lightner allowed six runs, four earned, on nine hits.
- Olexa walked three and fanned three in three scoreless innings.
- Pence started and completed all three games of the series. She tossed 14.1 innings with 15 hits allowed, four earned runs and 10 strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Amanda Casillas notched her fifth multi-hit game of the season. She had only two all of last year.
- Geena Capitini smacked her third home run of the year.
Lynn returns to the diamond on Friday, April 22, at 3 pm when it hosts Nova Southeastern at the Lynn Softball Field. The Fighting Knights will honor its three seniors prior to their doubleheader on Saturday. Fans can watch the action live at Lynn FightingKnights.com.