BOCA RATON, Fla. – A scoreless tie was snapped in the fourth and Lynn University's softball team could not recover in a 6-0 loss to Nova Southeastern in the series opener on Friday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Nova Southeastern 6, Lynn 0
Records: Nova Southeastern (12-34, 2--20 SSC); Lynn (13-30-1, 2-16-1 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 23-42 (Last played Feb. 7, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Dajia Jones snapped a scoreless tie in the top of the fourth with a RBI single to center field. Lynn looked to respond in the bottom half of the frame with a leadoff single by Francais Olexa but stranded the runner on second base.
- A grand slam by Katey Blummer brought NSU's lead to 5-0 in the fifth.
- Haley Gonzalez added a solo home run in the seventh to end the scoring at 6-0.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Olexa went 2-for-3 while Amanda Casillas was 2-for-2 at the plate.
- In the circle, Olexa allowed five runs on seven hits over 4.1 innings before being replaced by Katelyn Key.
- Key surrendered one run on four hits with a pair of strikeouts in 2.2 innings of relief.
- NSU's Megan Granitto pitched seven shutout innings and allowed five hits with two walks and two Ks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This marks the first game this season that Olexa started but did not complete.
- Fans were able to take part in a home run derby following play, sponsored by JB's on the Beach, Duffy's Sports Grill, Pizza Hut and Chick-fil-A.
The Fighting Knights close out the series against the Sharks with a doubleheader on Saturday, April 23, beginning at 1 pm. Prior to the game, Lynn's athletic department will honor the team's three seniors: Geena Capitini, Amanda Casillas and Manya Lopez. Fans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.