Titusville, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team scorched Chestnut Hill as the Fighting Knights pitchers accounted for 22 strikeouts in the in a double-header sweep. Francais Olexa fanned a career-high 14 batters and no-hit the Griffins in a 4-1 victory while Kayla Sheffield, Katelyn Key and Rachel Lightner combined for eight Ks in a 3-0 shutout win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Lynn 4, Chestnut Hill 1; Game 2 – Lynn 3, Chestnut Hill 0
Records: Lynn (14-9), Chestnut Hill (1-10)
Location: Chain of Lakes Park | Titusville, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 4-0 all-time (last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- A leadoff walk and error allowed an unearned run but did not deter Olexa (6-5) in the circle. The junior southpaw fanned her first five outs and never looked back. She would hold the Griffins hitless over seven innings, ending the game with 14 strikeouts and two walks.
- As good as Olexa was in the circle, she was nearly as solid at the plate, going 3-for-4 with two runs batted in.
- Three Fighting Knights had multi-hit outings in addition to Olexa with Karolina Flores and Elizabeth Diaz going 2-for-3 and Leanne Wright having a 3-for-3 outing at the plate.
- Caitlin Rolston tied the game up for Lynn with a RBI single en route to a 1-for-3 day.
- Game 2
- Four members of the team recorded multiple hits: Olexa, Flores and Wright (2-for-4) and Rios (2-for-3).
- Flores, Wright and Mackenzie Wyatt tallied RBI base hits.
- Kayla Sheffield improved to 5-2 in the circle with four shutout innings, allowing four hits with three strikeouts.
- Katelyn Key tossed two scoreless innings of relief with two strikeouts before ceding to Rachel Lightner in the seventh. Lightner set down the side via Ks to earn her second save of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa's 14 strikeouts are the most by a Fighting Knights pitcher since Callie Darlin fanned 15 batters at Columbus State on Mar. 12, 2011.
- Lynn's no-hitter was the second on the week by the second different pitcher. This marks the first time the Blue & White have had multiple no-nos by two separate hurlers since the 2000 season.
- Flores extended her hitting streak to a career-high eight games, where she has hit .536 (15-for-28), including four consecutive.
- Lynn is 2-3 on the year when it commits three or more errors in a single game (three in the second game of the DH).
Lynn concludes its Spring Break trip on Saturday, Mar. 11, when it battles Reinhardt at 8 a.m. and Cumberland at 1 p.m. Fans can keep up with live stats at LynnFightingKnights.com.