BOCA RATON, Fla. – While Lynn University's softball team cruised to a 6-2 victory in game one against Maryville (Mo.), the Fighting Knights needed a walk-off RBI single from Victoria Rios to clinch the doubleheader sweep against the Saints. Francais Olexa fanned double-digits again and reigning Sunshine State Conference Player of the Week Karolina Flores launched her third home run of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 6, Maryville 2; Game 2 – Lynn 3, Maryville 2
Records: Lynn (17-10), Maryville (9-9)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 4-1 all-time (Last played in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Named the SSC Player of the Week on Monday, Flores gave Lynn a 1-0 lead in the first inning after launching a solo home run over the fence in right center field. She ended the game 2-for-3 with two extra base hits, two runs scored and two runs batted in.
- Leanne Wright belted her first home run since the opening weekend, a three-run shot, and finished 1-for-3.
- Rios was 2-for-2 while Madison White and Shayle Arenson each went 2-for-3. White had a RBI double and Arenson logged one run scored.
- Olexa dominated in the circle, allowing only one hit (in the fourth inning) in five innings of work with 10 strikeouts to improve to 7-6 overall.
- Rachel Lightner tossed two innings of relief, allowing two runs, one earned.
- Game 2
- Elizabeth Diaz went deep in the second inning with a two-run home run as she finished the day 2-for-3.
- Erin Sundook was 2-for-4 along with Olexa.
- Rios completed her perfect day at the plate, 3-for-3, with the walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the seventh.
- Flores went 1-for-3 but also drew an intentional walk.
- Katelyn Key scattered two hits over five shutout innings but drew a no-decision.
- Kayla Sheffield improved to 6-2 with two innings of relief.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa set a new career for strikeouts in a season as she has 70 overall. She also tied her career-high for victories with her seventh.
- Rios was a perfect 5-for-5 at the plate, the most hits she had in a two-game span since the Barry series (2/18-19).
- Shayle Arenson made her return to the lineup after missing the last eight games, going 3-for-6 at the plate.
- Diaz connected on her first home run of the year.
- Flores, Wright and Rios have three home runs apiece.
Lynn returns to SSC play when it hosts Saint Leo for a three-game series beginning on Friday, Mar. 17, at 3 p.m. at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.