BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team played it close to 11th-ranked Saint Leo but could not overcome seven combined errors in a 4-1 and 7-4 loss on Saturday afternoon. Francais Olexa struck out nine batters in 7.2 innings of relief and Shayle Arenson and Karolina Flores drove in three runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Saint Leo 4, Lynn 1; Game 2 – Saint Leo 7, Lynn 4
Records: Saint Leo (25-7, 6-3 SSC); Lynn (18-12, 7-5 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 11-51 all-time (last played in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Katelyn Key earned the start but allowed four runs, three earned, on five hits before Olexa entered the game. Olexa tossed 3.2 shutout frames with two Ks and two hits.
- The junior out of Delta, British Columbia, went 2-for-3 at the plate and drove in Lynn's only run of the game in the second inning.
- For the second consecutive game, Mackenzie Wyatt recorded multiple hits, going 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Game 2
- Lynn grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first inning off the bat of Arenson. She would go 1-for-2 with two RBI, one run and a walk.
- Flores drove in the Fighting Knights third run of the game with a double in the second. She closed out play 2-for-4.
- Leanne Wright had a big RBI double in the sixth for Lynn, ending her day 1-for-3 with a RBI.
- Sara Vazquez went 2-for-3 and was robbed of a hit in the sixth.
- Kayla Sheffield started and allowed two runs, one earned, with two strikeouts and four hits over two innings.
- Olexa entered in the third and fanned seven batters in five innings. She allowed five runs, three earned, on six hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa struck out 16 batters in 17.2 innings in the series.
- Lynn's defense committed 10 errors in the three games against the Lions.
The Fighting Knights are back on action on Monday Mar. 27, when they begin a three-game series against Palm Beach Atlantic in West Palm Beach, Fla. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.