BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball seniors wanted to make their final homestand special and they did just that following a 9-2, 2-0 doubleheader sweep of Florida Tech on Saturday. With the help of the four seniors, the Fighting Knights posted the most victories in a season since 2004 and the most Sunshine State Conference wins since 2003.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 9, Florida Tech 2; Game 2 – Lynn 2, Florida Tech 0
Records: Lynn (26-19, 12-9 SSC), Florida Tech (26-25, 11-13 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 24-45 all-time (last played in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- The Fighting Knights erupted for four runs in the bottom of the second and never looked back against the Panthers.
- Making her final home start in the circle, Katelyn Key (4-4) stymied Florida Tech's hitters. She scattered six hits over seven innings, allowing two runs, one earned, with three strikeouts.
- Senior Madison White belted two doubles in going 2-for-3 with two runs scored while fellow senior Sara Vazquez went 1-for-2 with a run, run batted in and stolen base.
- The Fighting Knights' seniors saw the baton passed down to the underclassmen as well with freshman Mackenzie Wyatt logging a 3-for-4 performance with four RBIs.
- Sophomore Victoria Rios went 1-for-3 and smacked her team-leading sixth home run of the year.
- Erin Sundook added her second consecutive multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a RBI and run.
- Game 2
- Lynn outhit Florida Tech 9-2 but left eight runners on base.
- Kayla Sheffield tossed a two-hit complete game shutout and aided her own cause by giving herself a 1-0 lead in the second with her first career home run. She would go 2-for-2 on the day.
- Wyatt and Shayle Arenson added 2-for-3 performances apiece and Erin Sundook connected on a RBI base hit to end her day 1-for-3.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 25 victories are the most under head coach Amy Bellisari and the most since the 2004 season (35-19-1).
- The Fighting Knights 12 wins in league play are the fourth most in program history and most since 2003 (19-9). Lynn also is guaranteed of finishing .500 or better in the SSC for the first time in 13 years and fourth time overall in program history.
- Wyatt was 5-for-7 in the doubleheader with her five hits coming consecutively between the two contests.
- Vazquez's stolen base in game one gave her 30 for her career. She is one of just three softball players in program history with at least 30 swipes. She needs four more stolen bases to pass Brittany Gross for the most in program history.
- In just two years, Rios has hit 12 home runs, putting her in a tie for 10th place in program history for career HR.
Lynn University concludes the regular season on the road when it begins a three-game series with Nova Southeastern on Friday, April 28, at 6 p.m. in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.