Albany, Ga. - Lynn University's softball team revved up its offense on opening day, scoring 15 runs in a doubleheader victory over Albany State on Friday afternoon. Kayla Sheffield had a monster day at the plate, reaching base in all six plate appearances while connecting on four extra-base hits, including a two-run home run
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 10, Albany St. 0; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Albany St. 2
Records: Lynn (2-0), Albany St. (4-0)
Location: West Campus Stadium | Albany, Ga.
Series History: Lynn leads 2-0 all-time (Last met in 2005)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Sheffield powered the offense, going 3-for-3, all extra base hits, with two runs and three runs batted in. The sophomore launched a two-run blast, her second career home run.
- Shayle Arenson boosted the lower-half of the lineup with a 2-for-3 performance. Both of her hits went for doubles.
- Karolina Flores and Elizabeth Diaz each tallied two runs scored and drove in one run apiece.
- Francais Olexa (1-0) tossed four shutout innings, surrendering three hits while fanning one batter. Sheffield came on in relief in the fifth and needed just seven pitches to secure the victory.
- Game 2
- Diaz kept Lynn's offense humming to start the second game, ripping a two-run single in the first to give Lynn a 2-0 lead.
- Sheffield was 2-for-2 with a RBI, double and walk.
- Victoria Rios was 1-for-3 at the plate and scored three times.
- Sheffield fanned two batters in two quick innings.
- Freshman Allyson Jameston and Olivia Saviskas three the final five innings, overcoming seven errors to allow two runs, one earned. Jameston struck out one to earn the win and Saviskas fanned four in two innings of relief to pick up the save.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's run-rule victory came in the first game of the season while the team had one run-rule victory in all of 2017.
- Rios' three runs tied a career-high.
- Olexa earned her 27th career victory in the circle, moving her into fifth place all-time in program history, while her one strikeout moved her into a tie for third place in school history with 242.
- This marks the second time in three years Lynn won its season-opening doubleheaders.
- Lynn's 15 runs scored are the most in a season-opener under head coach Amy Bellisari.
The Fighting Knights are back on the diamond Saturday, Feb. 3, when they participate in the Southern Softball Showdown in Columbus, Ga. Lynn faces Flagler at 10 a.m. and then Union at 12:30 p.m. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.