Columbus, Ga. - Lynn University's softball team saw its offense stall in a 1-0 loss to Flagler but straighten things out in an 11-3 run-ruled victory over Union on the first day of the Southern Softball Showdown, hosted by the Peach Belt, Gulf South and Sunshine State Conferences. Kayla Sheffield tossed her first complete game of the year against the Saints while Erin Sundook and Shayle Arenson each drove in three runs apiece against the Bears.
INSIDE THE MATCHUPS:
Scores: Game 1 – Flagler 1, Lynn 0; Game 2 – Lynn 11, Union 3 (6 innings)
Records: Lynn (3-1), Flagler (2-0), Union (0-2)
Location: Columbus South Commons Softball Complex | Columbus, Ga.
Series History: Lynn trails 3-12 to Flagler (last met in 2017); Lynn is even 1-1 with Union (last met in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- It was a great pitchers dual between Kayla Sheffield and Ally Marcano. Sheffield threw six innings, fanning five batters and allowed four hits.
- Marcano surrendered just one hit over seven frames while walking four, hitting two batters and striking out seven.
- The Fighting Knights fell 1-0 after a passed ball in the bottom of the seventh.
- Game 2
- After getting shutout for seven frames, Lynn fell behind again in the top of the first against Union. The Fighting Knights retook the lead in the home half with five runs and never looked back.
- Elizabeth Diaz went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI. She was one of four players with at least two runs scored.
- Karolina Flores and Arenson each went 2-for-3. Flores tallied three stolen bases and Arenson three RBI.
- Sundook was 1-for-3 with two runs and three RBI. She drove in the final run with a perfectly laid down squeeze bunt to close out the run-ruled victory.
- Francais Olexa earned her second victory of the year after tossing four innings and allowing six hits and two runs with two strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa moved into second place all-time in program history for career strikeouts. She has 244 Ks in her four years, second only Lynn and SSC Hall of Famer Aimee Murch (737).
- Lynn's six stolen bases against Union tied a program record last occurring on Feb. 11, 2011 against Miles.
- Flores' three stolen bases tied a program. It last happened by Kaci Vassallo on Feb. 21, 2015.
- Olexa now has 28 career victories, tying her for fourth in program history.
Lynn concludes play in the Southern Softball Showdown with games against Mississippi College and Columbus State on Sunday, Feb. 4. First pitch is slated for 10 a.m. while game two is set for a 12:30 p.m. start. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.