BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team had Pittsburg State on the ropes in its home opener but settled for a doubleheader split, falling 3-1 before winning 5-1 on Friday afternoon. The Fighting Knights defense faltered late with two crucial errors to give away the opening contest before timely two-out hitting by Kayla Sheffield and Shayle Arenson pulled their team away in the second game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Pittsburg St. 3, Lynn 1; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Pittsburg St. 1
Records: Lynn (4-2), Pittsburg St. (4-4)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: First meeting between schools
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Pittsburg State grabbed a 1-0 lead in the fourth but Lynn responded with a run of its own in the bottom half of the inning.
- The Gorillas took advantage of a pair of errors in the sixth to score two unearned runs.
- Francais Olexa had a solid outing in the circle despite the losing effort. She fanned eight batters, surrendered three hits and allowed three runs, two of which were unearned.
- Karolina Flores went 1-for-3 with the lone RBI.
- Elizabeth Diaz was 2-for-3.
- Game 2
- Lynn took its first lead of the day in the opening inning but saw the game tied in the second.
- A four-run third inning, capped off by a bases-clearing double from Shayle Arenson was the difference in the contest.
- Olexa went 2-for-2 with two runs scored
- Flores added two hits, including a double.
- Kayla Sheffield continued her slugging with a first inning RBI double off the top of the wall in left center field.
- Arenson was 1-for-2 with three RBI.
- Sheffield (1-1) survived some wildness in the circle, scattering four hits over six innings with two walks, one run and three strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Olexa's eight K's are a season-high.
- Diaz recorded her second multi-hit game of the season.
- Arenson paces the Fighting Knights with seven RBIs this year.
- Five of Sheffield's six hits have gone for extra bases.
- Allyson Jameston tossed scoreless inning in both games while striking out two batters.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Sunday, Feb. 11, when they host Columbus State with a noon doubleheader. Fans can watch the game at LynnFightingKnights.com.