BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a disappointing fielding performance in Sunday's opening game, Lynn University's softball team locked in at the plate in the second game of a non-conference split against Columbus St. The visiting Cougars took the opener in six innings, 9-1, before the Fighting Knights fired back in the nightcap with an 8-0 triumph after five frames. Sophomore Karolina Flores belted two home runs in the victory, marking her first career multi-homer game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Columbus St. 9, Lynn 1 (6 inn.); Game 2 – Lynn 8, Columbus St. 0 (5 inn.)
Records: Lynn (5-3), CSU (3-3)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: CSU leads 8-3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- The Cougars took the lead with two runs in the opening inning and never looked back. A passed ball and an error in the outfield set the tone for Lynn's fielding the rest of the way.
- CSU broke it open with a five-run showing in the top of the fourth. A pair of walks and a missed throw off a bunt quickly loaded the bases before a string of singles, stolen bases and Lynn fielding errors put the Cougars up 7-0.
- Kayla Sheffield brought home McKenzie Wyatt in the fifth inning following a CSU fielding error to notch Lynn's lone run in the contest.
- Singles from Elizabeth Diaz and Victoria Rios accounted for Lynn's two hits.
- Sheffield started in the circle, allowing two hits and two runs through 1.2 innings pitched, before Francais Olexa took the reins. Olexa fanned five batters over the final 4.1 innings, but gave up seven hits.
- Game 2
- The Fighting Knights came out as a different team in the second game of the day, putting up three quick runs in the first inning.
- Olexa, Shayle Arenson and Flores led off with back-to-back-to-back doubles to put the Cougars defense on its heels.
- A lead-off solo shot over center field from Flores put Lynn up 4-0 in the fourth inning.
- Flores led off the fifth inning with another solo home run, kickstarting a four-run frame for the Fighting Knights. On the next at-bat, Sheffield pinch hit and went yard for consecutive homers.
- Flores finished 3-for-3 at the dish with two homers, a double, three runs scored and three RBIs.
- Natalie Costero entered the starting lineup in game two, going 2-of-3 at the plate.
- Arenson, Taylor Steczo and Sophia Devesa all logged RBIs.
- Freshman pitcher Allyson Jameston went the distance in the circle, striking out four batters while allowing just three hits late in the game.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Flores is the first Fighting Knight to have multiple home runs in a game since Geena Capitini launched three (program record) on the final day of the 2016 season. Flores' performance today is the 24th multi-homerun game in program history.
- Lynn's 12 hits in game two tie for the team's season-high, matching its output from the season opener.
- The Lynn pitchers allowed six walks in game one, the most they have given up in a game so far this season.
- The Fighting Knights' 8-0 win marks the team's second shutout of the year.
Lynn will head to Melbourne, Fla. on Friday, Feb. 16 to first take on St. Mary's (Tex.) before battling host Florida Tech later in the afternoon.