Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team utilized a last-minute rally to knock-off No. 22 St. Mary's (Texas) University 2-1 while a second comeback attempt fell short in a 2-1 loss to host Florida Tech. Caitlin Rolston played the hero with a walk-off single while Victoria Rios connected on multiple hits in each game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Lynn 2, St. Mary's Texas 1; Florida Tech 2, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (6-4), St. Mary's (7-6), Florida Tech (5-5)
Location: Nancy Bottage Field | Melbourne, Fla.
Series History: First meeting between Lynn & St. Mary's; Lynn trails FIT 24-45 (last played in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- The Rattlers grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the seventh but the Fighting Knights persevered to tie the game and eventually win in the bottom half of the frame.
- Elizabeth Diaz started the final inning rally with a leadoff single as she went 1-for-3.
- Victoria Rios followed by ripping the second of her two hits (2-for-3) and Erin Sundook loaded the bases with a walk.
- Mackenzie Wyatt tied the game with her first hit of the game, a RBI single through the left side.
- Caitlin Rolston provided the hero hit with a bases loaded infield RBI single to score Rios.
- Francais Olexa (3-1) earned her third win in the circle. She took a no hitter into the fourth inning and finished with one run allowed on five hits with two walks and one strikeout.
- Game 2
- Florida Tech scored runs in back-to-back innings (third and fourth), taking advantage of a Blue and White error.
- Olexa cut the deficit in half in the top of the seventh, driving in Wyatt with a RBI double but was stranded at second as the rally ended on a groundout to second base.
- Olexa went 2-for-4 while Rios was 2-for-3.
- Allyson Jameston picked up her first loss in the circle, allowing two runs, one earned, on five hits with a pair of walks and one strikeout.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Jameston has completed two of her three starts in the circle.
- Olexa moved into a tie for eighth place in program history with her 41st complete game.
- Rios is on a five-game hitting streak in which she has batted .538 (7-for-13).
Lynn begins Sunshine State Conference play with a three-game series with Nova Southeastern starting on Saturday with a 1 pm single game and ending with a noon doubleheader on Sunday. Fans can watch the games live at LynnFightingKnights.com.