BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team split its doubleheader with Nova Southeastern but won its opening Sunshine State Conference Series of the season. Elizabeth Diaz was a scorching 6-for-8 with a home run and four runs batted in while Francais Olexa tossed a complete game shutout in the first game of the twinbill.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 3, Nova Southeastern 0; Game 2 – Nova Southeastern 6, Lynn 5
Records: Lynn (8-5, 2-1 SSC), Florida Southern (4-9, 1-2 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 27-46-1 (Nova swept three-game series in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Diaz drove in the first of her four runs on the day in the opening inning with a two-out double. She would finish game one a triple shy of the cycle while going 4-for-4 at the plate.
- Victoria Rios continued her hot hitting, driving in a run while going 2-for-4.
- Olexa was a double-threat for the Sharks in this contest. She was a catalyst on offense with at 3-for-4 day hitting and stymied the NSU hitters in the circle.
- The senior southpaw (4-1) tossed a complete game shutout, scattering four hits over seven frames with six strikeouts.
- Shayle Arenson was also 2-for-4.
- Game 2
- Nova Southeastern grabbed its first lead of the series in the opening inning, tallying four runs on five hits. Kayla Kight capped off the inning with a two-run home run and she would end the day 2-for-2 with three RBI.
- Lynn did not back down, drawing to within a run after the first and eventually tying the game in the second but NSU scored a run in both the third and fourth frames. Lynn cut the deficit to one in the sixth but could not complete the comeback.
- Olexa once again proved a difficult out at the top of the lineup, going 1-for-2 with a walk, two runs and a RBI.
- Karolina Flores overcame a hitless game one to go 2-for-4 with a RBI.
- Diaz drove in two more runs and finished the game 2-for-4.
- Mackenzie Wyatt drove in a run and was 1-for-3.
- Lynn used four pitchers in the loss. Allyson Jameston earned the nod in the circle but lasted only 0.2 innings, surrendering four runs on four hits.
- Olivia Saviskas (0-1) took her turn in the first and lasted 2.2 innings, allowing two runs on five hits.
- Kayla Sheffield tossed three scoreless frames of two hit ball but left the circle in favor of Olexa in the seventh with NSU threatening to increase its lead. Olexa induced flyball outs to the middle of the Sharks lineup to keep the game close.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Diaz's four hits are a career-high for a single game while her six hits is two games is a personal-best over consecutive games.
- Diaz has 17 hits through 13 games, one hit shy of her entire 2017 total and three behind 2016.
- Olexa tossed her first complete game shutout of the season and fourth of her career.
- NSU's Doiminique Sprengers entered the final game of the series having now allowed an earned run in two starts. She surrendered her first earned run of 2018 in the opening frame against Lynn.
- Rios extended her hitting streak to eight games and his batting .522 (12-for-23) over that span with four multi-hit contests.
- Olexa's 42nd complete game moved her into a tie for sixth place in program history while her 30th career victory gave her sole possession of fourth.
Lynn returns to the field on Thursday, Feb. 22, when it hosts Kentucky State in a noon doubleheader. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.