BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team found its offensive groove before a pivotal Sunshine State Conference series, taking down Kentucky State in a pair of run-ruled victories, 8-0 and 8-0. Elizabeth Diaz and Karolina Flores drove in 12 of the team's 16 runs, giving the Fighting Knights six wins in their last eight games.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Lynn 8, Kentucky St. 0 (6 innings); Game 2 – Lynn 8, Kentucky St. 0 (5 innings)
Records: Lynn (10-5), Kentucky St. (2-9)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 3-0 (Won 10-0 in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- The bulk of the offense came with two outs in the second inning. Shannon Johnson started the two-out rally with a base hit and Lynn sent nine more batters to the plate in scoring seven runs.
- The Blue and White's final run came in the bottom of the sixth.
- Shayle Arenson was 1-for-3 with a bases clearing double.
- Victoria Rios was 0-for-1 but walked three times, scored once and stole a base.
- Francais Olexa set the table at the top of the lineup, going 2-for-2 with a walk and run.
- Karolina Flores smashed a three-run home run to dead center field.
- Johnson ended the game 1-for-3.
- Olivia Saviskas (1-1) tossed five scoreless innings, scattering two hits to the Thoroughbreds, walking two and fanning four batters in earning her first career victory.
- Game 2
- Lynn scored runs in four of the five innings played. The contest ended in the fifth after Kayla Sheffield launched a towering solo home run down the left field line to make it 8-0. She would go 2-for-3.
- Diaz drove in the first two runs of the game and ended the day 2-for-3 with three more RBIs.
- In an inning where Rios fouled off seven pitches, Flores stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and blasted a grand slam to left center field. She finished 1-for-3 with four RBIs.
- Taylor Steczo and Natalie Costero provided solid bats at the bottom of the lineup, going 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored combined.
- Allyson Jameston (3-1) threw four scoreless frames, allowing two hits with one K. She took a no-hitter into the third.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has won five games by run-rule in 2018 which equals the total from the previous three years combined.
- The Fighting Knights posted their fifth shutout of the year
- Sheffield has 11 hits on the season, of which nine are for extra bases.
- Olexa was on base in six of her seven plate appearances, extending her streak of reaching base to a team-high 15 consecutive games.
- Rios saw her eight-game hitting streak come to an end but she extended her streak of reaching base to 10 consecutive games.
- The Fighting Knights have won six of their last eight games.
The Fighting Knights return to action on Friday, Feb. 23, in Miami Shores, Fla., when they battled Barry University in a key Sunshine State Conference matchup. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.