BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team dropped its doubleheader against Florida Southern 3-1 and 7-3 on Saturday afternoon. Kayla Sheffield did not allow an earned run in the circle and Elizabeth Diaz smacked her second home run of the year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Florida Southern 1
Records: Lynn (13-6, 5-2 SSC), Florida Southern (10-5, 3-4 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 47-18-1 all-time (Took two of three games last season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn took an early 1-0 lead behind an RBI single from Shayle Arenson but two errors in the sixth inning led to three unearned runs.
- Kayla Sheffield (2-4) threw 5.2 innings in the starting nod with four hits allowed but three unearned runs and five walks and two strikeouts.
- Erin Sundook went 2-for-3.
- Game 2
- An early run by the Moccasins was countered by three runs from the Blue and White. But the Mocs scored runs in the fourth, sixth and seventh to pull away.
- Elizabeth Diaz capped a three-run first frame with a two-run home run to right field. She followed an RBI double by Karolina Flores.
- Allyson Jameston lasted only two innings, allowing three runs on six hits.
- Olivia Saviskas (2-2) picked up the loss by giving up one run on five hits over 2.2 innings of relief.
- Florida Southern's Jenna Weldon collected the 'W' in the circle after replacing starter Kelli Gault in the bottom of the first. Weldon, though, allowed four walks and hit two batters but did not give up a run.
- Kristen Beacham tossed four scoreless innings of relief to earn her second save.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa tied her own personal record with three walks in a single game.
- Victoria Rios and Olexa saw their string of consecutive games reach base end at 19 and 14 games, respectively.
- Diaz established a new career-high for RBIs in a year with 17 and tied her personal-best with her second home run.
Lynn returns to the field on Monday, Mar. 5, when it travels to Clermont, Fla., for games against Urbana at 9 a.m. and West Virginia Wesleyan at 11:30 a.m. The Fighting Knights then take on Mo.-St. Louis and St. Cloud State on Tuesday, Mar. 6, at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. For more information check out LynnFightingKnights.com.