Tampa, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team came out flying in the opening game of the doubleheader, beating the University of Tampa 4-2 but saw its bats go silent in the latter half of the twinbill, falling 5-0. Karolina Flores went 3-for-7 on the day and Allyson Jameston earned her team-leading seventh victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 4, Tampa 2; Game 2 – Tampa 5, Lynn 0
Records: Tampa (16-10, 7-5 SSC); Lynn (16-12, 6-6 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Family Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 49-16 all-time (lost two of three in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn trailed after the second inning, took the lead in the third, saw the game tied in the fourth and regained the lead for good in the fifth.
- Francais Olexa went 2-for-2 with a walk and RBI.
- Flores was 2-for-4 with a run and RBI. Her run gave Lynn the lead in the fifth.
- Erin Sundook drove in a run with a 1-for-2 performance.
- Jameston scattered 11 hits over seven innings, allowing two runs, one earned with one walk. She improved to 7-1.
- Lynn chased Tampa starter Sam Kaye (2-3) in the fifth.
- Game 2
- The Blue and White managed only two hits against Makaleigh Dolley (15-7).
- Flores and Elizabeth Diaz were credited with both base knocks for the Fighting Knights.
- The Spartans scored runs in the first, third and fifth frames.
- Kayla Sheffield (2-6) took the loss after allowing three runs in 2.2 innings of work. Olexa came on in relief and gave up two runs in 3.1 innings with two K's.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Dooley added to her league leading win total in holding Lynn to four hits in 14 innings pitched.
- Jameston moved into a tie for eighth in the Sunshine State Conference in victories.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Tuesday, March 13, with a noon doubleheader against Lindenwood at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch at LynnFightingKnights.com.