BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team went toe-to-toe with the Sunshine State Conference's top squad on Friday but the Fighting Knights fell to 13th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic in this weekend's series opener, 3-2. The Blue and White out-hit the 'Fish, but a three-run homer in the fifth inning proved to be the deciding factor.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: PBA 3, Lynn 2
Records: #13 PBA (17-2, 10-0 SSC), Lynn (17-14, 6-7 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: PBA leads 37-29
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Following singles from Erin Sundook and Karolina Flores, a two-out, bases-load walk to Kayla Sheffield in the bottom of the fifth plated Lynn's first score of the afternoon.
- In the sixth, Mackenzie Wyatt blasted a double to right center – the Fighting Knights' only extra-base hit of the day – to bring home Sophie Devesa for Lynn's final run.
- Elizabeth Diaz was the only Fighting Knight to notch a multi-hit performance, going 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Victoria Rios added a single to round out Lynn's five players with hits.
- Francais Olexa went the full seven innings in the circle, marking her sixth complete game of the season. She allowed four hits and three earned runs while fanning three batters.
- PBA's leadoff hitter and shortstop Magnolia West registered the game-winning three-run homer as her only hit of the day.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Sailfish currently sit atop the SSC standings as the only team who is undefeated in conference play at 10-0.
- After receiving votes in the preseason poll, PBA has been featured in the nation's top-25 through the first four polls of the regular season. No. 13 is the highest they have been ranked this year.
- Diaz extends her hitting streak to four games, the longest current streak on the team.
- With two walks today, Olexa extends her current team-leading reached-base streak to nine games.
- Lynn out-hit PBA, 6-4.
Lynn and PBA return to the field tomorrow, March 17, to finish out the series with a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m.