BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team suffered two three-run losses to 13th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday to close out the Sunshine State Conference series in a five-and-a-half hour long doubleheader. Victoria Rios celebrated her birthday in exciting fashion, going 5-for-8 at the plate with six RBI, two home runs with a grand slam and a double.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – PBA 11, Lynn 8; Game 2 - PBA 4, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (17-16, 6-10 SSC), PBA (19-2, 12-0 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: PBA leads 39-29
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Fighting Knights found themselves down eight in the bottom of the third before Karolina Flores singled to drive in Shayle Arenson.
- Two batters later, Rios hit a grand slam over the left-field fence to cut the deficit to two.
- Her next time up, Rios homered to center, scoring Kayla Sheffield. Rios finished the game with six RBI.
- Sheffield (2-7) picked up the loss in the circle, allowing five runs on four hits with two walks.
- In 4.2 innings of relief, Allyson Jameston allowed five runs on nine hits and struck out two 'Fish.
- Hannah Carlton had a big day for PBA, hitting a grand slam in the second and finishing the game with four RBI, a double and a home run.
- Elizabeth Diaz, Flores and Rios all had two hits in the game.
- Arenson went 1-for-2 at the plate and brought it Lynn's only run with a bases-loaded walk in the fifth.
- Flores went 2-for-2, posting the team's only extra-base hit of the game with a double, and scored the Fighting Knights' lone run in the contest.
- Rios batted 3-for-4 in the game behind a trio of singles.
- Sophia Devesa added a 2-for-4 effort at the dish.
- Francais Olexa (6-5) took the loss in her eighth complete game of the season. She allowed four runs (two earned), 12 hits and struck out five.
- Abbey Busby (8-0) pitched four scoreless innings for PBA before allowing a run in the fifth. She allowed nine hits, struck out two and walked three.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Sailfish extend their current win streak to 16 games.
- PBA sits atop SSC standings with the lone undefeated league record at 12-0.
- After getting hit by a pitch in both contests, Olexa extends her team-leading reached-base streak to 11 games.
- Rios recorded her fifth multi-RBI game this season with a career-high six.
- Rios also logged her first career grand slam in her first career multi-home run game.
- Lynn's six walks are the most this season since they matched the total on Feb. 11 vs. Columbus State.
- The 11 runs scored by PBA is the most allowed by Lynn pitching since March 25 of last year vs. Eckerd.
- The 15 hits in today's opener are the most allowed by the Fighting Knights this season and most allowed by the squad since they Saint Leo registered 21 on Apr. 11, 2014.
- Diaz ends her hitting streak at five games after going 0-for-4 in the final game of the series.
- With the Sailfish's sweep, the Fighting Knights lose their fourth consecutive game, a season high and their longest losing streak since they lost seven in a row during the 2016 season.
The Fighting Knights continue SSC action when they hit the road against Saint Leo on Friday, March 23.