Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's pitching staff ran into trouble in game one of its doubleheader with No. 20 Saint Leo but was stellar in game two over nine innings to earn the split on Saturday. The Lions took game one 6-1 but the Fighting Knights outlasted its opponents over extra innings to win game two of the twin bill 2-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 - #20 Saint Leo 6, Lynn 1; Game 2 – Lynn 2, #20 Saint Leo 1 (9 innings)
Records: Lynn (18-18, 7-12 SSC), Saint Leo (25-10, 9-9 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo University Softball Stadium | Saint Leo, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 53-12
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1:
- After not reaching base in the series opener, the first three Fighting Knights in the lineup reached in the first inning.
- The lone run for Lynn came on a sacrifice fly in the first frame courtesy of Victoria Rios; Olexa scored.
- Allyson Jameston (7-3) got the nod for the Blue and White in the circle allowing two runs, one earned, on one hit.
- Kayla Sheffield surrendered four runs, one earned, over 1.1 relief innings.
- Oliva Saviskas closed out the game for the Blue and White pitching one and a third allowing only one hit.
- Auria Mounts (12-5) started in the circle for Saint Leo and pitched a complete game and allowed one run on one hit, she struck out six and walked two.
- Elizabeth Diaz logged the lone hit (1-for-3) for Lynn.
- Game 2
- The two schools played scoreless softball until the top of the seventh when each team traded runs. Shayle Arenson drove in the Fighting Knights first run in the top half of the inning while Brittany Creamer plated the Lions run in the bottom half.
- Mackenzie Wyatt played the hero with an infield base hit in the top of the ninth, bringing home Rios who had led off the frame with a double.
- Olexa (7-6) went the distance for the second time in two days, allowing one unearned run and scattering 10 hits with five strikeouts and one walk.
- Rios was 2-for-4 and scored both runs for Lynn.
- Diaz also had a multi-hit outing (2-for-4) while Olexa, Wyatt and Arenson rounded out the Blue and White's hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa was the first Fighting Knight to reach base in 24 plate appearances over a two-game stretch.
- Jameston is now tied with Olexa for victories in the circle with seven.
- The one hit allowed from Jameston is the fewest she has allowed in a start this season.
- Rios picked up her 18th RBI of the season, tied for second on the team.
- Rios' 22 runs scored now leads the team.
- Olexa scored her team-high 21st run on the year.
- Olexa's nine innings thrown is a season-high and ties a career-high, which she has reached five times in her career now. She is 4-1 in those contests.
- Lynn's game two victory snapped a seven-game losing streak.
The Fighting Knights have 11 days off before they start a five-game home stand with a doubleheader against Flagler on Wednesday, Apr. 4, beginning at 1 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.