Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's offense woke late in the doubleheader against Flagler as the softball team scored four runs in the fifth to win game two 7-4 but fell 4-2 in the twin bill opener. Erin Sundook and Elizabeth Diaz were catalysts for the offense with a pair of two-out, two-run base hits.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 – Flagler 4, Lynn 2; Game 2 – Lynn 7, Flagler 4
Records: Lynn (19-19), Flagler (22-19)
Location: Lynn Softball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 13-4 to Flagler (Lost 1-0 on Feb. 3
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn scored both runs in the opener on bases loaded RBI walks. The first came from Mackenzie Wyatt in the first and later by Karolina Flores in the sixth.
- Francais Olexa went 1-for-2 with a walk, a stolen base and a run scored.
- Wyatt went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Erin Sundook went 1-for-2 with a walk and a run scored.
- Olexa (7-7) started in the circle and allowed four runs on five hits and struck out four.
- Ally Marcano earned the nod for the Saints but was pulled after walking five batters in just two innings. Katlyn McCue (13-9) came on in relief in the third and allowed one run with two walks and one strikeout over five frames.
- Kayla Sheffield came in relief and tossed two scoreless innings allowing one hit and fanning a batter.
- Flagler issued seven walks and hit a batter.
- Game 2
- The Blue and White took advantage of Flagler errors in the first and fourth innings to plate three runs. A four-run fifth snapped a 3-3 tie and blew the door open for the victory.
- Sundook went 2-for-3 with two runs and two RBI, including a two-out bases-loaded double in the fifth.
- Diaz was 1-for-3 and knocked in two runs with a two-out, two-run single with the bases loaded.
- Olexa added a 2-for-3 performance at the plate with a walk.
- Allyson Jameston (8-3) was solid in the circle, striking out four over six innings while allowing four runs, three earned, on five hits.
- Olivia Saviskas locked down her third save of the year with a scoreless seventh inning.
- Marcano (9-10) took the ball to start for Flagler and her wildness got the best of her again as she issued six free passes over 4.2 innings, surrendering seven runs, four earned, on seven hits. She did strikeout six batters.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sundook's RBI double in game two was the first base hit to drive in a run for Lynn. Both runs in game one came via a walk and the first three runs in game two were the result of Flagler errors.
- Lynn came to the plate seven times with the bases loaded, going 2-for-5 with two walks and six RBI.
- Saviskas' third save is a new single-season program record, surpassing teammates Olexa and Rachel Lightner (two each in 2017) and Erin McNerney (two in 2003).
- The Fighting Knights lost to Flagler, 1-0, in the third game of the year on a walk-off wild pitch.
Lynn is back on the field for a three-game Sunshine State Conference series with Eckerd beginning on Friday, April 6, at 3 p.m. at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.