BOCA RATON, Fla. – Kayla Sheffield drove in five runs, including a game-tying, two-out, three-run home run in the bottom of the seventh, and scored the winning run off a Sophia Devesa sacrifice fly to give Lynn University's softball team a 6-5 victory over Eckerd in 10 innings Friday afternoon. In the circle, Francais Olexa tossed all 10 innings, the 15th time in program history a pitcher has tossed at least 10 innings in a single game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 6, Eckerd 5 (10 inn.)
Records: Lynn (20-19, 8-11 SSC), Eckerd (17-19, 8-11 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 42-24 all-time (Took two out of three in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Blue and White overcame six errors in the game, which led to three unearned runs. Eckerd tacked on three runs in the first and runs in the fifth and seventh frames.
- Lynn trailed 5-2 in the bottom of the seventh until Sheffield drove the two-out pitch from Nikole Van Gennep (12-10)
- Sheffield finished the game 2-for-2 with two home runs, three runs scored and five runs batted in.
- Devesa went 2-for-4 with one RBI.
- Olexa, Elizabeth Diaz and Victoria Rios also added runs for Lynn.
- Olexa (8-7) struck out four and walked two while surrendering 11 hits over 10 innings with five runs allowed, two earned.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Sheffield moved into a tie with teammate Karolina Flores for the most home runs in the Sunshine State Conference with six.
- Lynn reached 20 victories for the second consecutive season and fourth time in the last five years under head coach Amy Bellisari.
- Sheffield's five RBI ties her for eighth in program history for a single game. It is the most RBI in a single game for the Fighting Knights since Geena Capitini drove in four at Barry on April 30, 2016.
- Her three runs scored also ties her for sixth at Lynn for a single contest.
- This is the 23rd multi-home run game in program history.
The Fighting Knights close out their three-game series against the Tritons with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday, April 7. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network at LynnFightingKnights.com.