BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team belted four home runs en route to sweeping the Sunshine State Conference season series with Eckerd College. Victoria Rios smacked two home runs and Sophia Devesa another in the Fighting Knights 6-3 game one victory and Rios added a third in the latter half of the twin bill, a 5-3 win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 6, Eckerd 3; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Eckerd 3
Records: Lynn (22-19, 10-11 SSC), Eckerd (17-21, 8-13 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 44-24 all-time (Took two out of three in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Rios put Lynn on the board with a two-out three-run home run in the third inning.
- The junior out of Miami, smacked her sixth home run of the year in the fifth and Devesa followed with back-to-back solo jacks, giving Lynn a 5-1 lead.
- Rios ended the game 3-for-3 with two runs and four runs batted in.
- Devesa went 2-for-3 with a run and RBI.
- Kayla Sheffield smacked a double, going 1-for-3 with a run and RBI.
- Francais Olexa was 2-for-4 with a run out of the leadoff position.
- Allyson Jameston surrendered three unearned runs on seven hits with one walk. She improved to 9-3 in the circle.
- Game 2
- Rios smacked her second three-run home run on the day as part of a four-run first inning. It was her seventh home run of the year.
- Mackenzie Wyatt added a RBI single as she went 2-for-3 in the game.
- Rios was 1-for-3 with a run and three RBI.
- Olexa, Sheffield, Diaz and Devesa scored runs.
- Taylor Steczo added a pinch-hit RBI sac fly.
- Sheffield (3-8) took her turn in the circle and retired 12 consecutive batters at one point before Eckerd plated three runs in the sixth. She scattered six hits with one walk and two strikeouts in the complete game.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rios took the team and SSC lead in home runs.
- Her seven home runs are a career-high for a single season while her 19 career home runs move her into sixth place in program history.
- Sheffield has 13 doubles this year, tied for second in the SSC.
- Rios, Flores and Sheffield rank first and second in the league in home runs.
- Lynn's 23 home runs this season also lead the SSC.
- This is the first SSC series sweep this season.
- Lynn has back-to-back double-digit SSC victories for the first time since 2003-04.
The Fighting Knights ae back in action on Saturday, April 14, at 4 p.m. when they begin a three-game series at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach, Fla. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.