BOCA RATON, Fla. – Trailing by two runs in the bottom of the ninth, Lynn University's softball team clawed back with a run but eventually saw its comeback come up short, falling 4-3 to Rollins in the series opener. Kayla Sheffield belted her seventh home run of the season.
INSDIE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Rollins 4, Lynn 3
Records: Rollins (26-20, 12-13 SSC), Lynn (22-23, 10-15 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 14-49 all-time (lost two out of three in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Rollins outhit Lynn 10-3 in the game.
- Sheffield connected on two of Lynn's three hits, smacking a two-run home run in the bottom of the first. She was 2-for-3 with a run and two RBI in the game.
- Victoria Rios added a hit.
- Francais Olexa went 0-for-2 but walked and was hit by a pitch.
- In the circle the senior southpaw (8-9) went the distance with four runs over seven innings with three strikeouts.
- She allowed three runs in the third and another in the fifth.
- Olexa's counterpart, Grace Street (15-8) fanned six batters with three walks and two hit batters in the complete game.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Olexa's walk gave her 72 in her career, a new program record.
- Additionally, Olexa was hit by a pitch for the 25th time, moving her into second place in program history.
- Sheffield's seventh home run moved her into a tie for second place in the SSC, one behind the leader, and teammate, Victoria Rios.
Lynn closes out its series against Rollins with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday, April 21. The Fighting Knights will honor seniors Rachel Lightner Francais Olexa, Victoria Rios, Taylor Steczo and Erin Sundook in a pregame ceremony. Fans can watch the ceremony and the game at LynnFightingKnights.com.