BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team gave their seniors a day to remember with a doubleheader sweep of Rollins, 8-2, 5-1. The Fighting Knights tied a program record with five home runs in the opener, due in part to back-to-back-to-back home runs while Elizabeth Diaz also tied a school record with three blasts.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Lynn 8, Rollins 2; Game 2 – Lynn 5, Rollins 1
Records: Lynn (24-23, 12-15 SSC), Rollins (26-22, 12-15 SSC)
Location: Lynn University Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 16-49 all-time
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Diaz, Rios and Sheffield went back-to-back-to-back in the fourth inning which accounted for four out of the eight runs for Lynn.
- Diaz had three home runs and reached on an error. She crossed the plate four times and had four RBI.
- Francais Olexa went 1-for-3 for the Blue and White with a walk and two runs scored.
- Victoria Rios was 1-for-2 with a solo shot and two walks.
- Kayla Sheffield went 2-for-4 with a HR and two RBI.
- Mackenzie Wyatt went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
- Kayla Sheffield (4-8) got the nod for the Blue and White and pitched a complete game allowing two runs on nine hits.
- Abby Summers (10-12) started for the Tars and gave up seven runs, six earned, on eight hits. She walked four, struck out six and gave up four long balls.
- Game 2
- Sheffield went 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Rios went 1-for-4 with and scored a run.
- Olexa scored a run and had an RBI. She was hit by a pitch in the second and walked.
- Diaz went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- Arenson went 1-for-3 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Allyson Jameston (10-4) started in the circle for Lynn and went six innings, allowing one run on three hits. She struck out two and walked four.
- Olexa came into the circle for the final time at home and pitched a perfect seventh inning to close out the game.
- Grace Street (15-9) started for Rollins and gave up five runs on seven hits and walked three Fighting Knights and hit three batters (Olexa, Sheffield and Sundook).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Five home runs in a game ties the program record and are the most since Feb. 23, 2005 against PBA. No other team in the conference has hit five home runs in a game this season.
- Diaz ties the program record with three home runs in a game and becomes the second Fighting Knight to accomplish that feat (Geena Capitini in 2016).
- Diaz becomes the 13th player in NCAA Division II to hit three home runs in a game this season. She is the first in the SSC to do so.
- Sheffield pitched her fifth complete game of the year.
- Rios' home run gave her an SSC leading nine on the year while Sheffield's blast is her eighth, tying her for second.
- Lynn and Rollins featured the top-six home run hitters in the league: Rios (1st), Brianne Lint and Kayla Sheffield (T-2nd), Elizabeth Diaz, Karolina Flores and Chandler Middlebrook (T-4th).
- Olexa and Diaz have both reached base in 13 straight games.
- In the doubleheader, Lynn went 5-for-10 with the bases loaded.
- With two hits in both games, Sheffield logged her ninth multi-hit game of the season.
- Diaz logged her second four-RBI game this season and her team-leading tenth multi-RBI game of the 2018 campaign.
- The Blue and White are 18-9 when Diaz starts at first base.
- The Blue and White finish with a 14-11 record at home, their best home record since they went 15-8 in 2010.
The softball team closes out the season with a series against Florida Tech starting on Thursday, April 26. The first pitch is slated for 2:00 p.m. Fans can catch the action on LynnFightingKnights.com.