Melbourne, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team overcame a hitless opening game to drop nine runs in game two to split its doubleheader against Florida Tech. The Fighting Knights victory guarantees them back-to-back seasons with a .500 record or better for the first time since 2003-04.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Florida Tech 4, Lynn 0, Game 2 – Lynn 9, Florida Tech 3
Records: Lynn (25-24, 13-16 SSC), Florida Tech (31-21, 15-14 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 24-45 all-time (last played in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Game 2
- Both Karolina Flores and Sophia Devesa recorded multi-hit outings. Flores was 2-for-3 with a RBI and run and Devesa was 2-for-4 with a run and RBI.
- Shayle Arenson drove in three runs with a 1-for-2 performance.
- Taylor Steczo added a pinch hit two-run single in the last inning to put the game out of reach.
- Olexa reached base twice with a walk and hit.
- Sheffield led the team with two runs scored, going 1-for-2 at the plate with an RBI.
- Mackenzie Wyatt and Erin Sundook also scored for Lynn.
- Allyson Jameston (11-4) scattered seven hits and allowed three runs, two earned, with two walks and two K's.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The last time Lynn's softball team posted consecutive .500 or better winning percentages was 2003-04 when it went 34-21 and 35-19-1.
- This is just the fifth time Lynn has finished .500 or better in consecutive years.
- Olexa earned her 31st walk of the season, setting a new program record.
- She also becomes the first player in program history to lead her team in walks in three seasons.
- Jameston becomes the first freshman pitcher at Lynn since 2010 to win 11 games in the circle.
Lynn closes out its season against Florida Tech on Friday. First pitch is set for noon. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.