St. Augustine, Fla. – The Jill Moore era for Lynn University's softball team started off with a bang as Kayla Sheffield tossed a no-hitter and Shannon Johnson belted a walk-off two run home run to beat Georgia Southwestern 2-0. In the second game of the day, Flagler topped the Fighting Knights 3-1
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn - 2, Georgia Southwestern; Game 2 – Flagler 3, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (1-1), Ga. Southwestern (1-1), Flagler (2-0)
Location: Flagler Field | St. Augustine, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads Ga. Southwestern 2-5, trails Flagler 4-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Sheffield (1-0) was perfect in the circle, holding the Lady Canes hitless over seven frames with two strikeouts and three walks. She was also 1-for-3 at the plate.
- Johnson went 1-for-3 at the plate with her only hit launched over the fence in the bottom of the seventh. She finished with two RBI.
- Mackenzie Wyatt went 2-for-3 with a run scored. She was the lone player with two hits in the game.
- Mia Veliz and Britney Purser both logged a hit in the game. Purser logged the lone stolen base in the game.
- Jennifer Jernigan (0-1) was in the circle for the Hurricanes; she pitched 6.2 innings and allowed two earned runs on six hits and struck out three.
- Game 2
- Lynn gained an early lead with a RBI double from Shayle Arenson, driving in Mia Veliz.
- Six different players recorded hits.
- Allyson Jameston (0-1) fanned two over six innings of worked, allowing three runs on six hits.
- Wyatt, while hitless, reached base twice on two walks.
- The Saints threw three pitchers. Kaitlyn McCue allowed one run in one inning. Alayna Savaglio earned the win with two scoreless innings while Kyra Gipson tossed four scoreless innings.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the first no-hitter thrown on opening day in program history.
- Moore joins Chere Heisel (Feb. 2, 2006) as the only coaches in program history to win their debuts.
- Sheffield threw her second career no-hitter. Her last no-no came on Mar. 7, 2017 against Oakland City.
- Sheffield now has 12 complete games in her career. She pitched four last season and seven in her rookie season.
- Lynn saw three freshmen make their debut: Veliz, Grace Hastings-Wydetic and Makayla Caballero.
- Johnson came into the game batting 2-20 at the plate in her career. The homerun was her first career extra-base hit.
- Last season, Lynn had five shutouts.
- Wyatt had four multi-hit games last season. In her freshman year, she had 11.
- The Fighting Knights improve to 3-7 in season openers over the last 10 years.
Lynn closes out play at the Flagler Invitational on Sunday, Feb. 3, when it takes on Anderson at 1:30 p.m. and Flagler at 4 p.m. Both games can be watched live at LynnFightingKnights.com.