St. Augustine, Fla. – Kayla Sheffield is off to a hot start in the circle as she tossed another complete game shutout to help Lynn University's softball split on the final day of the Flagler Invitational. The Fighting Knights dropped the opener 9-5 to Anderson (S.C.) but avenged their loss from the previous night against the Saints by winning 2-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Anderson 9, Lynn 5; Game 2 – Lynn 2, Flagler 0
Records: Lynn (2-2), Anderson (2-2), Flagler (2-2)
Location: Flagler Field | St. Augustine, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails Flagler 5-14; First meeting against Anderson
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Lynn connected on 10 hits against Anderson.
- The bottom-half of the lineup went a combined 7-for-12 with a pair of RBIs.
- Britney Purser led the team by going 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Grace Hastings-Wydetic and Sophia Devesa each went 2-for-4 with a RBI.
- Shannon Johnson connected on her second extra base hit in as many games, launched a two-run double in the third.
- Olivia Saviskas (0-1) earned the nod in the circle, allowing five runs on four hits with a walk and three strikeouts over three innings.
- Allyson Jameston tossed three innings of relief, surrendering four runs on eight hits.
- Game 2
- Lynn used a pair of Mackenzie Wyatt infield RBI singles to plate runs against Flagler.
- The Blue and White's five-thru-nine hitters each logged a base hit while Devesa went 2-for-3.
- Sheffield stymied the Saints all day long, scattering three hits over seven scoreless innings, issuing one walk and fanning two batters.
- No Saints runner reached second base.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Johnson entered the opening weekend with two career-hits, none for extra bases, but connected on two extra base hits in four games.
- Sheffield has opened the season by allowing just three hits, no runs with four walks and four strikeouts in 14 innings pitched.
- She becomes the first pitcher to toss consecutive complete game shutouts since Cristie Kaufman Feb. 13 & 16, 2010.
- Purser notched her first career three-hit outing. Her four hits in two games matched her entire 2018 hit total.
- All four newcomers (Makayla Caballero, Grace Hastings, Georgia Ohren and Mia Veliz) saw action in the opening weekend.
The Fighting Knights start an 11-game home stand with a doubleheader against St. Thomas (Fla.) on Friday, Feb. 8, at the Lynn Softball Field. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.